• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johniban

Mapping Questions....

johniban

Hi,

my 205 is just about ready to be mapped, they said its going to take about 4 hours todo but won't be done in one day due to cold start mapping after initial mapping,

That's fine and I'm more than happy with that but my problem is I'm about 2 hours away so my question is what do you usually do? Hire a flat bed/ trailer twice to drop off and pick up...

Or.. Possibly try and sort out getting a Friday off work and seeing if I could drop the car off and pick up the next morning

It's obvioualy going to cost as much either way, but not sure what todo

Tom Fenton

if it was me I would get the at taxed/tested and then get at least 100 careful road miles on it. This means any daft niggles leaks etc can be sorted out before you are paying £75/hour for rolling road time. Then given the distance maybe trailer or get it taken there. Then to pick it up get a lift off a mate or Mrs etc and drive it back.

It's easy for me I have a trailer and tow car but if I did not, the above is what I would do. Even with the trailer I always like to get the road mileage done first of all anyway.

johniban

Thanks for the reply, the car is in no state to be driven about in, it definitely needs mapping as is only on a base map, plus it has no windscreen ECt as it needs painting

boldy205

I appreciate this might not be how you would like to do things but, it would save a lot of issues if you did as already mentioned, get it all sorted, and have the mapping done last, enabling you to do a few road miles first. Can you not run it on the base map?

Edited by boldy205

Tom Fenton

What is the point mapping it if it isn't finished and you cannot drive it? As above, a good way to waste your money is by taking an untested unproven engine conversion to rolling road, but up to you.

welshpug

what do you think guys with race cars do?

take unproven cars for mapping...

one way around that in this instance is to run the engine on the standard management inlet etc.

you could even drive it there and swap the inlet and loom over, I have done this with DCC when we didn't have access to a trailer.

personally I just trailered the car down, spent all day on the rollers then an hour on the road, trailered it back home the same day.

johniban

I didn't think you was meant to drive on base map

GilesW

You can get a nice safe map on there John and drive it about for ages.

Defo do that, run the engine in, sort out any little niggles etc. As you want it all perfect for the mapping.

Who's mapping it btw?

Track N road willdo mine, but then I never use anyone else.

Miles

I have always fitted engine's etc and recovered it to the Rollers for mapping and running in, The only thing that has happened was the bung on the end of a 6 speed box fell out after years of service, new oil, mopping up and finding the bung and all was good again, I'd only use a base map to get it upto temp and a nut and bolt check when it cools down.

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/dynotune.htm#

Edited by Miles

johniban

At speed racing in Essex,

If I had a decent map to load on it Giles so I could drive it to test it out I would but I havent

Simes

FYI, I've had mine mapped 3 times (changed set up).

I've never bothered sorting the cold start or had it done.

• Like 1

johniban

Do you not have problems in the mornings getting it started ect then?

If i could get the cooling fan working on the ecu i could have it running up to temp to test out if everything is ok

dcc

Sandy has mapped most of the cars I know of, all of mine inclusive. I arrived for mapping once with him a good 2 hours early. As above we drove there with standard inlet and ecu, bolted everything else on, and drove away with bodies. Never once had a cold start problem, I had mine mapped first time with him in the winter iirc, Interesting really as your cold start map should be easy to sort out.

What ecu do you have? And is it standard cams?

Simes

Do you not have problems in the mornings getting it started ect then?

If i could get the cooling fan working on the ecu i could have it running up to temp to test out if everything is ok

I rarely drive it and if I do it's warm!. 2 mins with the throttle open and off we go.

My fan is not connected to the ECU, there's no need as the stand alone system does the job fine.

I have had a go in the past to set it up but never get the time these days.

welshpug

same here, I just run an original standalone fan control system

(specifically one from a Diesel ZX as its two speed 250 w fan, the 16v came with a single speed 150 w fan)

johniban

Sandy has mapped most of the cars I know of, all of mine inclusive. I arrived for mapping once with him a good 2 hours early. As above we drove there with standard inlet and ecu, bolted everything else on, and drove away with bodies. Never once had a cold start problem, I had mine mapped first time with him in the winter iirc, Interesting really as your cold start map should be easy to sort out.

What ecu do you have? And is it standard cams?

I have omex 600 and standard cams as far as i know.

I don't have the standard wiring loom to run standard inlet and ecu, id rather just trailer it to be safe

johniban

I rarely drive it and if I do it's warm!. 2 mins with the throttle open and off we go.

My fan is not connected to the ECU, there's no need as the stand alone system does the job fine.

I have had a go in the past to set it up but never get the time these days.

All the wiring on mine was a complete bodge, taped up wires and bare wires, no fan resistor present, so i had to remove most of the wiring up front, i dont have any wiring for the standard fan to work i dont think, would be much easier if i did!

Edited by johniban

johniban

Just a thought, i could use the standard radiator mounted fan switch couldn't i?? i have a slim line fan so i could earth it then just wire the relay for it to the standard fan switch

welshpug

yep.