• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Tappets, What Should I Be Looking For And How Much?

Atari Boy

What should I be looking for when fitting used tappets, is it advisable?

If not what will a new set cost for a 1900 8 valve? Final question, where should should I get them from?

Thanks

Jonny

mickie

why are you using different tappets?

if your using a different camshaft you need to set up your shims

Atari Boy

I am using a head from one engine and a cam from another. What should I be doing?

Tom Fenton

You should be measuring all the clearances and then fitting shims to adjust these clearances to the factory spec. Haynes manual details the procedure.

Atari Boy

Okay, thanks, that sounds 'fun' I will read through my Haynes. If I need different shims, where can I get them from quickly?

mickie

peugeot

Atari Boy

Okay, so I measure what I need then go to Purgeut with a list of shims I need or do you just but loads and take them home?

Ryan

Measure up and then just buy what you need. They're available from 1.65mm to 4mm in 0.025mm steps. They're £2.60 each according to the servicebox website.

edthedrummer

are the shims the small circular metal bit underneath the tappets, that sit ontop of the end of the valve/spring?

Mikey S
are the shims the small circular metal bit underneath the tappets, that sit ontop of the end of the valve/spring?

those are the ones! any decent local machine shop will have shims in stock so try them before pug. my local machine shop only charge me 20 squids to set the clearances on the heads i do. imo its not worth doing yourself if the machine shop can do it for so cheap.

Atari Boy

Okay here is an idea. If I am going to be using the cam from one head (a) on another head (:angry: to build up one decent head ©. Assuming that head (a) is correctly set up within the right tolerances, and that I use the cam, the same tappets and shims and transfer them over to head (:lol: would the tolerances still be good on head ©?

I hope this makes sense, I could see it being tricky getting shims over Christmas and thought this MIGHT be a way round it.

What do you think>

Thanks

Jonny

welshpug

you may be lucky with a few valves having the right clearances, but valve lengths and valve seat depths vary by ever so little, hence the shims.

If you have 2 heads to hand just use all the buckets from both heads :angry:

Miles

No you need to check all the gaps' as all heads will vary, You cannot even change the cam cap's as they are bored to suit each head which I know some even mechinc's have done. But you will have a slection of shim's to hand so you might be lucky. If they are too thick you might be able to hone/machine them down but this is very thicking and without the right equipment pretty much impossible

Atari Boy

The head i want to use has no cam covers (are these another name for tappets?) with it so I planned on using the others that came with the cam, can I not do this then?

thanks chaps

Jonny

Edited by Atari Boy

Sign in to follow this