• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Car Doesn't Start

davemar

I've got a MI16 engine (1.9) with the 8v ECU & ignition system (i.e distributor adaptor, HT coil in corner of engine bay, etc,).

I recently put it back together after replacing the head-gasket, and initially it started fine, but often played up after a while.

I had to readjust the cam-belt tension a bit as I felt it sounded a bit flappy, but nothing too drastic. But since then the

damn thing doesn't start!

- The starter motor spins over fine, so thats OK.

- I suspected the ignition circuit to be getting flakey, but I appear to be getting a spark. I also gave the plugs (which were

new when I refitted the head) another clean. So it seems the ignition electrics part is working.

- I then suspected the tachymetric relay, so I by-passed that to run a 12v supply to the fuel-pump and injectors. The

fuel clearly whirred away, and there was fuel under pressure in the system (I checked by easing one of the hoses

off the fuel rail, and it "reassuringly" spurted out). This still didn't make it start, so the relay isn't the prime reason.

- I checked the voltage on the injectors and it was oscillating as you would expect.

What else can there be to check? It appears to have spark, fuel, and presumably air (I wasn't suffocating in the garage!),

so what can be going wrong? I'm totally stumped!

sutol

Are all the plugleads on the right way....just a thought post-9302-1198346929.gif

sutol

Just thought about that ..it's hard to get em wrong isn't itpost-9302-1198347354.gif

Anyway , is the cranking speed as it should be ?

And is there a spark at the plug when the motor is cranking ?

Can't think of anything else.

davemar

Yes, plug leads are fine, and I haven't removed them since it did start properly, There is a spark when cranking, unless

it magically vanishes when screws back in the head!

ORB

has the timing slipped out at the Dizzy/adaptor? I have had this issue before.

davemar
has the timing slipped out at the Dizzy/adaptor? I have had this issue before.

It looks to be where it should be, but I'll double check. I wonder since having the head skimmed for the new HG

the timing needs to adjusted a little?

davemar

Found the problem in the end. It was one of those things you can't find for hours on end one day, and spot it within a couple of seconds the next day. It was the ground connection to the AFM had become disconnected, a silly little thing! Once reconnected it started fine and seem to run OK....

...until I tried starting the engine again a few minutes later and it didn't want to. This time there was no spark, and no signal on the LT side of the coil, suggesting a problem with the (new!) ignition amplifier (which seemed to be working a few minutes before). This is getting frustrating, and I'm rather surprised a new module should stop working like this. Maybe there's another lose connection somewhere, though the wiring in that area all looked fine. B)

Sign in to follow this