• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Quigs

[project] Dimma 205

Quigs

well progress has been slow this week, i have started blending in the quarter now.

i have also picked up another 205 with a 2ltr turbo engine, has self learning ecu, lightend Mi16 flywheel and re-profiled cam.

and some other few goodies on it to which i need like 1.9 runing gear and brakes, 309 gti rear beam, sport shocks, full leather interior.

i will get some pic's up asap.

Quigs

craig f90

Coming all together nicely then Quigs.

A very good collection of parts to complement the new look. :) I'm looking forward to the end result. Shes gonna be a stunner. :lol:

Quigs

right time for an update. i've had to change the n/s lamp panel as it was damaged.

Photo0035.jpg

i have also mounted the intercooler

Photo0062.jpg

Photo0060.jpg

most of my time has been taken up cleaning and painting all the parts i stripped of the other 205 i bought.

here's the boost pipe.

Boostpipe.jpg

inlet manifold

Inletmanifold.jpg

and some more parts.

P040808_1604.jpg

P040808_1605.jpg

P080808_1524.jpg

and here's the Rocker Cover :)

Photo0034.jpg

Quigs

i have also done the bottom end

Before

Photo0056.jpg

After

Photo0057.jpg

Photo0058.jpg

Photo0059.jpg

and here is the head,

Photo0023.jpg

Photo0029.jpg

the next stage now is to prep and paint the engine bay so once the engine has been put back together it can go in.

what do you all think??

Quigs

GTI6BOY

Nice job matey.

taylorspug

Very impressive, its such a masssive effort to undertake work like this, a true vision and dedication is needed to get it completed.

Your working environment looks very 'Heath Robinson' with half a tree hanging over the car! Reminds me of spraying my car in an EZ-up awning in the winter, less than ideal...! :)

miamichris

good work mate, you're getting on rightly with this now! keep it up, i'm enjoying this project! :)

Quigs
Your working environment looks very 'Heath Robinson' with half a tree hanging over the car! Reminds me of spraying my car in an EZ-up awning in the winter, less than ideal...! :blush:

yeah not the best of condition's to work in but got to make do with what i got. i'm doing all the work in a car port as well as in the garage and in work.

thanks to everyone for the comments.

now back to the update,

i have now painted the engine bay, here's a couple of pics.

Photo0063.jpg

Photo0064.jpg

Photo0065.jpg

Photo0066.jpg

Photo0067.jpg

now i just got to put all the bits back in the engine bay. (brake servor, throttle/clutch cable, wiring, header tank, etc)

Quigs

mercury

awesome job, r u just using spray can paint to paint the car? It looks very nice.

tombo

lose the chav valve quigs, chatter sounds so much better than a ptshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quigs
awesome job, r u just using spray can paint to paint the car? It looks very nice.

no only used for the engine bay, couldn't get hold of a compressor, the rest of the car will be sprayed at the body shop i work in, should cost no more than £50 to get it sprayed.

lose the chav valve quigs, chatter sounds so much better than a ptshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i prob won't use the dump valve any way, was on it when i bought the other car.

well the engine bay is all built up now, so will be putting the engine back together tomorrow, so the engine will prob be going in on Thursday or maybe friday.

would like to have the engine in a running on the weekend.

Quigs

tombo

this seems to be coming along well, i wish my missus would let me spend time on my car like yours does mate lol.

yep lose the dump valve an have chatter, stues sounded amazing!

Quigs
this seems to be coming along well, i wish my missus would let me spend time on my car like yours does mate lol.

yep lose the dump valve an have chatter, stues sounded amazing!

well she wouldn't off mate, not together anymore, started the car to keep my mind busy.

Quigs

update soon

Quigs

UPDATE

as i said before the engine bay is all built up now.

Photo0079.jpg

Photo0080.jpg

here's the engine built up.

Photo0071.jpg

Photo0075.jpg

Photo0078.jpg

i put the engine in sat morning, so here is a few pics of the engine in.

Photo0081.jpg

Photo0083.jpg

Photo0085.jpg

Photo0084.jpg

i got the engine running sunday morning, what a relief, started first time aswell.

and here is a pic of the front end.

Photo0082.jpg

it's all starting to take shape now, hope to have the car completed by the middle of november sometime.

comments welcome.

Quigs

Fox

First time I've looked at this topic, fantastic work, keep it up!

dirtdog

i thought a dump valve was there to help protect the turbo or something along those lines?blowing off pressure. not just for noise?

i've heard wastegate chatter isn't good for your turbo, something about the turbo stalling?

maybe ive heard wrong so dont grill me. not really read up on it much so i could be wrong

tombo

as far as im aware, all chatter is, is a release of air as you would get with a chav valve. only difference is that with chatter the air i cut at speed as it goes between the the turbines of the turbo.

do a small test, blow from your mouth and at the same time wave somthing in front of your mouth and the sound changes.

and quiggs my apoligies on putting my foot in it. sorry mate

tom_m
as far as im aware, all chatter is, is a release of air as you would get with a chav valve. only difference is that with chatter the air i cut at speed as it goes between the the turbines of the turbo.

which can lead to the compressor wheel failing, and increased wear on the seals and causes the compressor wheel to stall increasing response time between gears

Edited by tom_m

dirtdog

I don't like to trust every piece of information I come across so I don't know if this is a reliable source but Found This.

Maybe worth while keeping that valve?

gazzamec
Maybe worth while keeping that valve?

very much so, the standard recirc on my old 220 turbo had packed up (never investigated why) and the T25 fitted started smoking within a week of hearing the compressor stall, my corsa has a "chav valve" (bailey DV26) purely because the stock one leaked and needed blocking, it now runs high boost without any leakage and im happy in the knowledge it will protect the turbo.

good progress on the car mate, engine work looks great hope it stays that way.

andituk

Whilst a dump valve will no doubt increase the lifespan of the turbo, it failing a week later is probably coincidence. Lots of cars run fine with no DV at all. Some cars came out of the factory that way, RS Turbos and Cosworths did, iirc.

GTI6BOY

Is that not what an external waste gate is for? So you get the chatter without damaging the turbo

gazzamec
Whilst a dump valve will no doubt increase the lifespan of the turbo, it failing a week later is probably coincidence. Lots of cars run fine with no DV at all. Some cars came out of the factory that way, RS Turbos and Cosworths did, iirc.

both had recirc valves, very few turbos can handle compressor stall, anything with a journal type bearing will wear very quickly with any amount of decent boost, the rover went smokey due to higher boost levels than normal and compressor stall, it puts the journals and seals under a lot of stress and can even damage the shaft.

Is that not what an external waste gate is for? So you get the chatter without damaging the turbo

the wastegate lets exhaust gasses escape to control boost level, nothing to do with the chatter you hear.

back OT :lol:

gazzer
:( loving the thred, as its me i belive thats won matts dimma kit off ebay and have all this work to do. am i right in beliving that you have to trim the old wheel arch as its longer than the new panel. keep up the good work and post.

Guest Jordan

hey, im really lovin this car, excellent work goin on! very intregued in the engine..... what is it?? i want one!!!