Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lambda (Non 205)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

dobboy

dobboy
  • Drivers+
  • 2,600 posts
  • Name:Jack
Garage View Garage
I seem to have developed an intermittent Emission warning lamp on my R53 Mini, no limp mode though.

I put the code reader on and it say's a problem with the Pre-Cat Lambda.

I can clear the error and it clears for a few days/miles, including a Trackday.

Would this error normally point the Lambda being on it's way out? or something else?

TIA

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
I don't know any Bini specifics, but usually there's three possibilities for lambda related fault codes.
  • Either could be that the lambda itself is faulty (or there's a bad connection to the lambda)
  • Something else is amiss that's causing the fuelling to be wonky to the point where it's outside the ECU's margin to compensate, so the lambda is correctly reading rich/lean but the ECU flags the reading as implausible.
  • There's a pre-lambda exhaust leak that's messing with the sensor reading
The exact error code / description might help narrow it down.

PS. Whilst it might not be in limp mode (most older cars won't do that for a lambda issue, but again no idea on Bini's) you should be careful as if it's overfuelling enough you'll eventually kill the catalytic converter.

dobboy

dobboy
  • Drivers+
  • 2,600 posts
Garage View Garage

I don't know any Bini specifics, but usually there's three possibilities for lambda related fault codes.

• Either could be that the lambda itself is faulty (or there's a bad connection to the lambda)
  • Something else is amiss that's causing the fuelling to be wonky to the point where it's outside the ECU's margin to compensate, so the lambda is correctly reading rich/lean but the ECU flags the reading as implausible.
  • There's a pre-lambda exhaust leak that's messing with the sensor reading
The exact error code / description might help narrow it down.

PS. Whilst it might not be in limp mode (most older cars won't do that for a lambda issue, but again no idea on Bini's) you should be careful as if it's overfuelling enough you'll eventually kill the catalytic converter.

Ah thanks Anthony. I'll get the exact description from the reader.

I didn't know the CC could get knacked, I better have a closer look at it.

dobboy

dobboy
  • Drivers+
  • 2,600 posts
Garage View Garage
Anthony, code reader says, "oxygen sensor bank 1 pre cat malfunction."

I put multimeter on it and have open circuit on pins 1&2 (pins 3 to 4 closed)

I take it sensor is will need replacing 😡