• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dcc

Timing On Mi16 1.9

dcc

I've set about the final part of the engine rebuild!

Using 2 #2 pulleys (have verniers ready to fit later and get set up properly!) im trying to time the engine. However, the only thing I have to go by, are a few rather awful images from a mi16 rebuild manual.

Now I have the belt on, its taught between the cam pulleys (seems perfect) but it feels almost 1 tooth out from the inlet pulley down to the crank? this I know is not right. I can twist the belt too much, past 90degree.

Do I need to get the belt 1 more tooth past the crank? or am I spot on as she is?

If its of any importance, the head is cammed.

Last time I timed an engine it was 8v, and a different (and more easier) pulley-tensioner system.

- also, would I expect a cammed and bigvalve head to idle on 8v management?

pug_ham

You have two tensioner rollers on the Mi, one for the front of the belt & one for the back.

Have you tensioned the front one?

With the two cam pulley & crank timing pins fitted adjust the tension on each eccentric roller, the head being cammed won't make any difference to the belt tension.

Graham.

dcc

Thanks for the reply Graham. ive tensioned up the belt now and I'm happy with it. I moved the belt 1 tooth along, and it now seems good and taught.

Can I expect the car to idle with it being cammed and using the dizzy?

Do I need the Alternator to be connected for it to start?

Rom

Aux belts dont need to be connected for it to start.

Ive never tried to run on 8v management, assuming you can still adjust dizzy like normal ? In which case there shouldnt be a problem. Idle might be lumpy, depending how lairy the cam is. But it should run.

The twin tensioners can be a pain to setup with the limited room. As over doing one side can throw it out etc.

pug_ham

Are you using the 8v management on carbs or with injection?

If you using the injection as a whole with Mi inlet etc I wouldn't expect it to run very well at all.

Graham.

dcc

Yes Graham, the 8v management for the time being, with injection.

Sign in to follow this