• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pete1986

Two Quickies... Whats The Difference Between 1.6 And 1.9 Rads?

pete1986

Hi,

I need to get a new rad for the 205 as i am currently borrowing one from a mate. Looking on the radicool website the're are different listings for 1.6 and 1.9 GTi, is there any diffence? I mean is there any benefit of using a 1.9 over a 1.6? Iv read about using a radiator from a diesel 205 as an upgrade before, and on the same site it lists an alloy rad for GLD/GRD/SRD. Is that the kiddy to use? Before anyone starts saying copper is better, I want to get a alloy one purely because its cheaper :lol:

I also need to get a couple of M7 sump bolts. I have a GTi-6 sump on a 1.9 mi16 block with spacer plate/windage tray. They aren't a very common size. Are these available at Peugeot? :)

Thanks in advance :lol:

Baz

No difference between rads mate. :)

And the TD ones are the ones that some people use, as they're fatter, but personally i wouldn't bother, OTT.

Baz

I would've thought Pug do the bolts too tbh, can only ask!

mattbenselin

Afaik the radiator is exactly the same on either the 1.6 or 1.9 GTI's so you can use either. The diesels have a thicker radiator which gives improved cooling hence classed as an upgrade but as standard it weighs a lot more.

Try going to a scrappy and looking for some Peugeots, take a spare bolt and chances are you will find a match. Take big pockets and you're away!

pete1986

Thats what i call a quick response! Cheers Guys

Right, thats the rad ordered then.

Yeah theres no harm in asking Peugeot about the sump bolts, just didnt want to waste a trip there. I was just looking on service box, they would be listed for a 306 GTi-6 XU10J4RS right? Or 1.9 Mi16? :)

pete1986

Would it be number 8 on Mi16 page (Diam 7x100 - 40) or number 70 on GTi-6 page (Diam 7x100 - 21)?

Do 40 and 21 refer to the length of the bolt? If so i suppose i need the longer one, thus making the spacer plate 19mm deep.

welshpug

yes the last pair of digits are the length :) I.E M7 1.00 thread pitch, 21 or 40mm length, you don't have to go to peugeot, but depending on how your local suppliers/ebay are it might be easier!

shalmaneser

you can almost certainly get a bolt from a local trade supplier, look in yellow pages for a bolt merchant or something - they'll be able to supply every thread pitch under the sun!

Last time i needed some M6 nuts (oooh err) they gave me ten for free and called it a sample. I wouldn't worry about length too much, you can always cut bolts down.

or...as per normal google has the answer...

sarcastic clicky

helpful clicky

welshpug

main problem being that hardly anybody stocks M7 :) M6 is one of the most common sizes used, not surprised you got some for free!

shalmaneser

lol true, always worth ringing up and asking tho!

:)

pug_ham

A handy source for M7 bolts (if you have a friendly scrapyard that lets you wander round) is the thermostats housing on an 8v XU engine, this size is used to hold them on in various lengths that are easily adjusted with a hacksaw.

Graham.

VisaGTi16v

I presume you have an extended oil pickup if doing this setup? The 2 bolts by the crank pulley end are slightly shorter as well, theres a thread I posted on before with grimbadger iirc showing photos of his as well

pete1986

Ok, now im unsure, cheers Visa! :D Yes im using the extended oil pickup. The two bolts missing are on the gearbox side of the sump, what length should these be? They wouldn't foul anything if too long. There's no real rush so i think i'll just order some online/local supplier (if there is one) and cut them down to size. I need them at least 40mm long, right? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip Graham. The scrapyard near me do let you wander around and take bits off yourself so would be an ideal opportunity to have a gander around, then 'not find' what you're looking for. But i there were no 8v's there when i went about a week ago. -_-

Thanks for all your help! Happy Chrimbo!

gizzmo

im having a similar problem as in, have swapped my sump from s16 to gti6 all the bolts fitted except in that i now need 2 7m cappheads to go where the sump has a support for power stereing/aircon so looks like i will have to source some from a dealer, as all my local factors dont do m7 their are some on ebay though but not capphead.

Edited by gizzmo

VisaGTi16v

Heres a post I did before for the 2 capheads you mention, you just drill out the hole 10mm or so then you can use your 1.9 ones also note about the 2 shorter ones. You can damage the crank I think if you use ones that are too long, either cut down or use washers, I think the sump is about 5mm thinner there than the 1.9, compare to yours also see the bit about what oil temp sensor to use

edit: Got a pic of the drilled out ones at home, will upload when I get back

Edited by VisaGTi16v

mrswampy

I have a plentyful supply of m7 bolts in various lengths all brand new

the trouble with most places not stocking them is they are on the whole automotive use only

very rarely will you find them on anything else

pug_ham
The two bolts missing are on the gearbox side of the sump, what length should these be? They wouldn't foul anything if too long.

While there isn't anything for them to foul if they are to long, if they are the two in the middle of the crank seal plate then if they are to long they can puncture through the plate into where the crank seal fits & defom it so it leaks all the time which is a nightmare if you don't realise what is causing the leak.

I'm not sure about the length of these two originally but if you can measure the width of the sump & stiffener now I'd simply add 10mm but service box lists lengths from 21mm to 50 but it lists 31mm (x2) & 36mm(x21) for the XU9JA without aircon so I'd deduce from that you need 31mm for those two.

Graham.

philfingers

i removed my GTi6 sump from my Mi16 block today (with windage tray). When I assembled it I certainly would've checked the bolts lengths were all correct.

All the M7 bolts are 40mm with the exception of the two into the rear main and those are 35.5mm (36mm)

There are the two M7 capheads which are off the 8v block as i bored the hold out to 12mm to accept them

Phil

Sign in to follow this