• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

Oil Stem Seals

Paul_13

I need to get the valve stem seals replaced on my 2.0 MI head, has any one had this work done any where local to Reading?

My dad went to CC (clifford cox) engineering a few years back and says it wasn't that good and a bit expensive but that was over 10 yrs ago. Good thing is tho they have a rolling road!

Cheers

welshpug

is the head on or off the engine? that will affect the price greatly if you can get the head off yourself.

jplautomotive

hi

i am in basingstoke , ex pug master tech now work for my self

jonny

Paul_13

Head's taken off and totally dismantled now, cams out etc.

Johnny: How much would you want for this? or is it a case of giving it to you and then waiting to see how much?

Would you be able to supply new springs, valves, collets etc or will i have to provide them

Cheers

Paul

M@tt

EDIT: ignore me i didn't read the post properly :lol:

Edited by M@tt

Paul_13

Got everything to go back in the engine Matt, got this all planned out for once lol :lol:

welshpug

why new valves + springs etc? if you've got it dismantled that far its not much more work! :lol:

Cameron

If the heads already dismantled why aren't you doing it?? Just get a pair of decent pliers and whip them out!

Paul_13

Not sure where to get new ones from tbh, Autofive maybe?

Is there a certain procedure that has to be followed to get the valves out the guide when dismantling, because when i took the exhaust valves out they literally fell out, but the intake valves took a bit of persuasion to get out. Was I ment to heat something before hand?

M@tt

so is it the valve guides (the metal bits the vlavles slide through) you want replacing as well or just the valve oil seals?

if its just the oil seals then its a piece of p1ss you just need some pliers to pull the old ones off and a 11mm socket to push the new ones on with

Paul_13

To Cameron:- Ive already got those bits out (the little red caps) but the bronze looking thing beneath this i wanted to get replaced, as when i took the valve out there was a bit of swarf on all the inlet valves.

Is there a name for this part? The other end of it sticks out into the intake and exhaust ports

Paul_13

Got it now valve guides :lol:.

Has any one changed these them selves or best left to professionals

Any chance of a reply please Johnny? Its just the valve guides that need changing

M@tt

those are your valve guides

best thing to do is just phone round a few engine repair places and ask them for a price for

checking valve guides

cost per guide inlet/exhaust (they are different so might be a different price)

cost to fit each guide

then you'll know a worst case scenario.

i think it's usually the exhausts that wear the most and need replacing (which sounds about right according to your description) so it'll probably be just the 8 exhaust ones that need replacing

EDIT: it was a while ago when i had the ones on my Mi16 done but i'm pretty sure they were about £8 each including fitting but don't hold me to that

Edited by M@tt

Paul_13

Thanks for the reply,

The engine was sat for a while so i'm pretty much redoing the whole engine and will probably redo all the guides.

Has any one had any problems reboring 2.0 MI and using compensated piston rings?

Paul

welshpug

sounds like you need to speak to forum sponsor QEP :lol:

if you re-bore you'll need new oversize pistons.

Edited by welshpug

Paul_13

Are they the company who built the cossie'd 206? I will give them a ring

Cameron

Yeah QEP did my guides and did a very good job.

If you had problems getting the inlets out you may well need new inlet guides and valves, I had problems with my Mi head as the inlet valves had stretched around the collet grooves and made a lip which then ruined the guide when pushing them out. Scrapped the head in the end. :lol:

Edited by Cameron

Paul_13

Sounds like the same problem as what i had, just going to get new everything in the head so nothing buggers up!