Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Emerald Start Up

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

stuRALLYE

stuRALLYE
  • Drivers
  • 96 posts
  • Name:Stu

Hi everyone, 

I've finally got my car to a stage where id like to see it starting after 3 years off. I've got a standard xsara vts engine with jenvey 45s and an emerald k3. 

I've been trying to get the car running tonight and I would appreciate some advice! The ECU is powered up and when cranking the light goes (and stays) green. I have set the crank settings to 60-2 and I have a couple of maps ive been trying, one from emerald and one which was already loaded onto the ECU when i bought it (standard xu10j4rs with jenvey 45s). I have also set the tps threshold.

The injection is set to sequential, is this wrong? I've had no luck getting it to fire so far and now the starter motor has died which isn't ideal!

can anyone tell me the basic setting that need to be seen for this engine to give it a chance of running? I am using a coil from a tu engined 106. Are 1&4 closest to the wiring plug and 2&3 at the rear?

sorry for all the questions and the general rambling, im just very impatient to see something happen after so long.

cheers

stu 

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
  • Name:Mei
needs to be batch fire, check trigger angle, should be 114-117 iirc.

stuRALLYE

stuRALLYE
  • Drivers
  • 96 posts
I've got another starter motor and I'm ready to try again. I have spark from the plugs when tested but I'm only seeing fuel being injected on number 2 cylinder!! I've got 12v at both pins to the injectors and the ECU should provide an earth to fire them but I assume this is only happening on no 2.
I've set my injection output to grouped and my crankshaft reference position to 117btdc.
Please tell me I'm missing something very obvious!

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
if youre only seeing fuel from one injector check you have 12v to one pin of each injector plug, ecu pulls to earth to trigger.

check from pin to earth not across the two pins.

stuRALLYE

stuRALLYE
  • Drivers
  • 96 posts
Yeah I've checked and they are all seeing 12v. It's now starting and running on 3 cylinders on the map supplied by emerald but something is still amis!

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
try swapping injector plugs around, also check the spark plugs, if its on a base map they can foul up easily.

have the injectors been tested?

stuRALLYE

stuRALLYE
  • Drivers
  • 96 posts
On closer inspection I think it's only running on two. Numbers 2 and 3. The plugs come out dry from 1 and 4 but 2&3 are wet with fuel.
The injectors were working well in the xsara the engine came from.
Is it possible that only one injector driver has been wired up correctly? I had the look made professionally so I'm pretty sure it will be correct

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
if 2&3 are wet then i dont think you have spark on that side of the coil.

stuRALLYE

stuRALLYE
  • Drivers
  • 96 posts
Thanks for the help here welshpug, appreciated. I've just taken the fuel rail and injectors out and turned it over and I'm only getting fuel from 2 and 3. The plugs are all sparking when tested out of the cylinder head

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
check the woring back to the ecu time, not sure on the pinout of a k3 but its usually paired.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
manual says 23 & 24 are injector drivers 2 & 1

stuRALLYE

stuRALLYE
  • Drivers
  • 96 posts
Yeah just checked that and the wiring all checks out ok. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong with the map side of things. I could do with a chat with emerald but they will be shut until Monday now

stuRALLYE

stuRALLYE
  • Drivers
  • 96 posts
Well it turns out 2 of the injectors are shagged. Swapped them around on the rail and the fault moves with them. Off to the wanted section for me again then!

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,580 posts
  • Name:Peter Taylor
Just buy new ones off ebay. 2nd hand injectors are a false economy.

stuRALLYE

stuRALLYE
  • Drivers
  • 96 posts
Yeah that's what I've gone for. Should arrive on Thursday so fingers crossed it will finally run!

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts

Just buy new ones off ebay. 2nd hand injectors are a false economy.

unless its chinese knockoffs, in which case youre better with used serviced genuine items.

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,580 posts
Genuine Bosch XR6 turbo injectors at approx. $62 each. I'm failing to see your point.

http://www.ebay.com....4qEVM5h-5PCUPrA

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts
400 vs 50.

thats my point

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,580 posts
What's 400 and what's 50?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,024 posts

your massive overkill bosch greens which wont fit his inlet & fuel rail would be £400 delviered to the UK, a set of cleaned Clio injectors are direct fir pico type would set him back around £50.

Edited by welshpug, 16 May 2016 - 11:53 AM.