• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gavin Waddell

Cooling Fan Doesn't Turn Off

Gavin Waddell

As per the title my cooling fan doesn't turn off after driving. I fitted a new fan switch 2 years ago it has a black bad where just above the spanner flats. If I u plug it a replug it still stays on? Any ideas,

thanks Gavin

hoodygoodwood

The fan switch loom gets a live feed direct from the battery via the connection box behind the nearside headlamp , if the switch is triggered the fan will stay on even once the ignition has been switched off . After several minutes the water will cool and the fan will be switched off . If your fan is staying on permanently unplug the radiator fan switch , the fan should stop immediately , the fan mini loom is very simple .A GTI would normally have a switch with a red band I believe , if you have fitted one with a lower temperature the fan will come on sooner and stay on longer once the engine is switched off . ( the temp is stamped onto the brass usually )

Tom Fenton

The switches are s*ite putting it bluntly. I've changed loads. It doesn't help that the solid state switch has to switch full fan current and its this that makes them crap out. Nothing to do with the resistor they are either working or open circuit and not.

welshpug

Tom raises a good point, on later vehicles the same switches are used, however with relays, the switches rarely give trouble, just the relays! (and corrosion in the round plugs on the 306...)

I've liberated a loom from a Diesel ZX to run the fan on my 205, its a standalone loom that plugs straight into the zx's shunt box with no interconnections like the 306's looms.

mostormxu9

check your 3 fan relays.

jackherer

check your 3 fan relays.

That configuration was only used in warm climates. In the UK 205s only have one fan fitted and there are no relays at all!