• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Fuel Tank Heat Shield Fitting

dobboy

I'm trying to fathom out how to fit the fuel tank heat shield. It's still to arrive.

I've looked at Haynes, it has an illustration and an unclear picture.

On mine just now, I have a little strap fixed (m6) at the rear seat belt buckle area under the car. This then comes down and looks as though a stud (m10) from it acts like the clamping mechanism for closing the long strap that ensures the rear beam doesn't fall off the car?

Is the above correct, and if so does the rear end of heatshield simply share this m10 stud?

And what holds the other end of the heatshield on?

Anyone got any pics?

Tia

dobboy

2psraz9.jpg

On my car the stud (circled red) seems to form part of the bracket (yellow square).

Like Toms product http://205gti-nfp.co.uk/?page_id=121

So is the correct fitting just a matter of removing the nut/washer, and fitting the heatshield (5) below item 6?

or is the stud double nutted with the heatshield between the nuts?

or something else?

and how does the heatshield fix at the other end of it?

TIA

Tom Fenton

Forward end of the heat shield uses one of the nuts/studs of the centre exhaust hanger.

Offer it up its obvious where it goes.

• Like 1

dobboy

15390f5.jpg

What is the fixing type in the orange circle? and how is it fixed at the green circle?

cheers!

Anthony

As Tom says, it'll be obvious when you try and fit it.

The front fitting uses one of the two nuts for the exhaust hanger, and the rear fitting is on a small strap attached to the shell sort of above the beam. Same as the fuel tank strap. Both fixings are M10 studs with a 16mm head nut.

• Like 1

dobboy

Forward end of the heat shield uses one of the nuts/studs of the centre exhaust hanger.

Offer it up its obvious where it goes.

Cheers.

Sorted I think, there are only two fixings

20acjeb.jpg

Another job done :lol:

dobboy

As Tom says, it'll be obvious when you try and fit it.

The front fitting uses one of the two nuts for the exhaust hanger, and the rear fitting is on a small strap attached to the shell sort of above the beam. Same as the fuel tank strap. Both fixings are M10 studs with a 16mm head nut.

Just to be clear, at the rear on mine the stud on the small (exhaust) strap goes through the hole on the large beam strap (6) (this is correct?), and the shield slots on to this same M10 stud?

and the item in the red circle from Haynes doesn't really exist as it's part of the small strap? (like Toms product)

Edit And there's only two fixings (as per the shield pic)

Edited by dobboy

Anthony

Correct. Only two fittings, the red circle is indeed the M10 stud on that strap, and yes it goes through the hole on the strap as well as the heat shield.

It's not nicknamed the Haynes Book Of Lies (HBOL) for no reason you know :lol:

Like I said, it'll be obvious when you come to fit it on the car and you're slightly over-thinking and over-worrying about it :)

dobboy

Correct. Only two fittings, the red circle is indeed the M10 stud on that strap, and yes it goes through the hole on the strap as well as the heat shield.

It's not nicknamed the Haynes Book Of Lies (HBOL) for no reason you know :lol:

Like I said, it'll be obvious when you come to fit it on the car and you're slightly over-thinking and over-worrying about it :)

Thanks, not worrying about it, just want to make sure I've got everything I need, you know the 5 P's?

Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance! :D

Tom Fenton

OTPAFW.

Over thinking prevents any f***ing work

:ph34r:

• Like 2

dobboy

It went on no problem.

One question on the middle heat shield at the gearstick area.

You know the little offset bracket that hold the shield down a couple of inches (at the boot end)?, how is that supposed to be fixed to the floor?

Rivet or a very short self tapper?

TIA