• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
soeima

Temp Gauge And Speedo Not Working

soeima

Hi there guys,

This is my first topic in the forum (after the introduction ofc).

I just purchased a 205 GTI and beeing a 30+ yo car will need some love over the next few months. The car is running ok but I can't control the temperature or the speed and that has become priority number one to fix.

I searched around the forum and there's info about cables snapping and sensor not working properly.

I just don't know where to look/begin and would kindly thank you guys for any suggestion about this matter.

Thanks a lot and sorry if this is not the right place to make this question.

Cheers

Simes

Speedo is mechanical, driven by gearbox.

It's literally a cable from the side of the box to the back of speedo.

I'd get a copy of a Haynes manual, the earlier one if possible.

Gaz205

If you are careful, remove the plastic casing around the actual dials. Depending on which phase car it is will determine where the screws are. Then you can unscrew the dials themselves and pull them forward a little. You will see if the speedo cable is attached or if the electrical connections are all plugged in. While you are there change any bulbs that have blown.

If it's all correct at the rear of the dials you could take the car down the road and watch to see if the cable is actually turning. If it's not then I'd be finding the other end at the gearbox and starting again.

soeima

Hi guys! Thanks a lot for the help.

My copy of the Haynes Manual (old one) has arrived and I could fix the problem with ease.

Have some others now :D

Cheers

Anthony

If you unplug the wire from the coolant temperature gauge sender on the back of the thermostat housing and short it against the engine block, the gauge on the dashboard should read maximum. If it does, then it is likely that the sender itself is faulty, whereas if it doesn't, check the wiring for damage.

Oh, and just to double check you realise if you're new to 205's - the bottom right gauge is coolant temperature and the top right gauge is oil temperature, quite a few people have confused the two. Oil temperature will take a few miles to climb from the bottom of the gauge, and the wiring is prone to going brittle from the exhaust manifold heat.