• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy Mack

Air Filter

Guest Andy Mack

Hello,

I was just giving my car a service and went to change the air filter. The one thats in at the moment is metal gauze. But when i went to Halfords to get a new one the one recomended for my car(1.9) was a foam one. But the 1.6 one was the same metal gauze as mine.

Does it matter what one i put in it?

Can you get like a K&N(or whoever) replacement air filter to fit the standard stuff? And if you do where do i get one?

Cheers

Andy

Guest Ben xs

K&N do a replacment panel filter for your car, most good car accessorie shops can get them (Ripspeed, Demon Tweeks etc..), will make a nicer noise aswell. :(

Guest Chip

i prefer the K&N type contstruction to ones like piper foam filters, just seems tougher.

Guest Andy Mack
K&N do a replacment panel filter

what do you mean a panel filter?

I just want the air filter that goes with the standard setup.

I read Nick R's post about air filters(was it him??) But was it not about changing the airbox for the one for the manufacturer?

I read that the standard induction system is very good so i dont want to change it. I just want a new filter element. Should i just get the one from Halfords? Or one from Peugeot? Or does it not even matter?

fiji bob

genuine pug ones are a pain in the arse you have to soak them in engine oil and let it all drain off or it drips out the airbox onto the exhaust manifold

jackherer

panel filter == standard filter element

Guest doogz

er, i've just replaced mine with a standard foam one from pug, are you sure it's meant to be soaked in oil first?

Guest Andy Mack

i just ordered a K&N replacement element for my car. Will it need to be soaked in oil? And do u use Old or new oil? or does it not matter?

Sam

Foam won't last as long but has supposedly got better dirt retention.....

Cotton will last longer....

And as for sound, to disappoint the usual halfords customers, they both sound the same....

fiji bob

afaik the standard pug filters need to be soaked in clean oil, according to some filter test results someone posted a while ago the genuine filters performed really badly on both dust retention and performance

Guest Dom

K+N filters already come pre oiled. But i'd buy some for later use.

Guest Ben xs
And as for sound, to disappoint the usual halfords customers, they both sound the same....

<< Not the usual Halfruads customer

Most cars sounds better with a replacement element thankyou, its just cus the 205 has an old girl induction system..

Sign in to follow this