• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danGTI

Alternator

danGTI

I think I can safely say now the problem with my car is the alternator (thanks to those who helped out btw) and having looked at it i'm confident i can change it over myself. The problem is, i'm not sure whether to go get it reconditioned if possible, get a used one or get one brand new. Any suggestions?

pug_ham

Unles you are wanting to pay the extra for a brand new one, just swap it for a reconditioned one if you want to be sure it is a good one & not one that could last weeks from a scrapyard.

Have you had yours tested by an auto electrician to be certain it's at fault? (on or off the car.)

Graham.:)

Edited by pugtorque

Guest bedders

Id just get a second hand one, take about 10 mins to change

I just happen to have a spare one for sale if you like :)

Guest Gar

My mate had to put a new alternator on his mk3 astra. He bought a second-hand one from a scrap yard, and ended up buying a new one a few months later.

Buy cheap, buy twice!

RichE

What affect would I get putting a 1.9 Alt on a 1.6?

Rob_the_Sparky

Re-con should be fine. AFAIK same alternator is fitted across the range.

Rob

RichE

I thought a 50amp Alt was on the 1.6 and a 70amp on the 1.9?

Rob_the_Sparky

Maybe, but doubt electric windows are going to flatten the battery so shouldn't matter.

Guest CB-Dave

if you have a big ice install, get a 90a alt from a 405 Turbo Diesel (well, any XU variant 1.9 turbo diesel; 405, 306, 406 etc)

danGTI
My mate had to put a new alternator on his mk3 astra. He bought a second-hand one from a scrap yard, and ended up buying a new one a few months later.

Buy cheap, buy twice!

That's exactly why i thought i'd get opinions on here first! Don't suppose anyone knows how much new/recon units are? I'm short on cash now cos i've already spent loads sorting out little problems and xmas is coming soon. I was gonna start a new install in the new year but that's gonna have to wait a bit longer now...oh,the joys of pug ownership!

Edited by danGTI

Guest Theo205
if you have a big ice install, get a 90a alt from a 405 Turbo Diesel (well, any XU variant 1.9 turbo diesel; 405, 306, 406 etc)

would these alternators fit ok on a 205 or is there a mod required?

RichE
would these alternators fit ok on a 205 or is there a mod required?

I would guess it would depend on if your car has PAS or not.

However, I would think it would be a straight swap.....

Guest CB-Dave

makes no difference as to PAS etc, it is a straight swap...

the only difference PAS makes is that the alternator sits higher up (above the pas pump) whereas the non PAS one sits lower down (where the pas pump usually is). The mountings are the same, the adjuster mech is the same, and the connections are the same!

Sorted!

RichE
makes no difference as to PAS etc, it is a straight swap...

the only difference PAS makes is that the alternator sits higher up (above the pas pump) whereas the non PAS one sits lower down (where the pas pump usually is). The mountings are the same, the adjuster mech is the same, and the connections are the same!

Sorted!

Nice.

I thought the PAS altenator had an extra pulley around it or something, and thats what drives the PAS?

I'm talking outta my arse arent i .....

:o

danGTI

sod it, i'll go second hand and get a recon td one in the new year for when i can finally afford to build a decent install (mid 2005 at this rate lol)

KRISKARRERA
Id just get a second hand one, take about 10 mins to change

LOL I bloody wish! Try changing one on an Mi16 with an Air conditioning compressor right below it :o

danGTI
LOL I bloody wish! Try changing one on an Mi16 with an Air conditioning compressor right below it :o

Serves you right for having a more powerful engine :(

RichE

Well dont get me started on pugwolf.

danGTI

Oh dear, it's started squeeling when pulling away, like the sound you get when the belt slips....It's definatly coming from the alty. D'oh!

Guest Dino
sod it, i'll go second hand and get a recon td one in the new year for when i can finally afford to build a decent install (mid 2005 at this rate lol)

I have a couple of used ones lying around.

£10 if you can collect from NE London?

danGTI
I have a couple of used ones lying around.

£10 if you can collect from NE London?

Bit too far really, cheers anyway :rolleyes:

Guest CB-Dave
Nice.

I thought the PAS altenator had an extra pulley around it or something, and thats what drives the PAS?

I'm talking outta my arse arent i .....

:rolleyes:

The alternators are both the same, the only difference being that a car with PAS has a PAS pump which is belt driven off the same belt that the alternator uses (which is why there are two part numbers for alternator belts - one PAS, one non PAS, the PAS one being longer)

The actual alternator unit is exactly the same across the XU range, the only difference being the output of it, possibly the pulley is different but all the ones I've ever seen have a five-ridge belt on a four-groove pulley...

Guest phil19gti

When you've got a full electrical load, is it normal for the idle to drop?

Mine does, usually between 100-200rpm, but I was wondering if this is due to it being an old alternator.

Sign in to follow this