• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest kings205gti

Big End And Bottom End?

Guest kings205gti

How can you tell if the big end or bottom end have gone, just want to knowledge myself.

Green Machine

usually there is a nasty knocking noise coming from the bottom of the engine. this noise sometimes is not always present through out the rev range. when mine went the noise would only be heard if at 4.5k revs. hope this helps, im sure more pointers will be posted

Anthony

Low oil pressure is also a clue that the bottom end bearings have seen better days.

Guest seb

When my bottom ends have gone (on my 205xs and my 200sx) it was characterised by a noise not dissimilar to someone smacking the s*it out of a radiator with a hammer. I think I listen to my music too loud, since it clearly had been getting worse and worse over the last 100 miles before i could finally hear it :D

Guest g-spot

how much does it cost to fix out of curiosity

Guest seb
how much does it cost to fix out of curiosity

generally talking about a complete engine rebuild I believe, so for a standard mi16 it's cheaper just to get another one.

jonnie205

not too bad to fix, the best way to do it is to drop the crank out of the engine, this can be done with engine in car. Then take this to an machinist and get them to check the crank for wear and scoring, you will most likely be able to see yourself. the crank will probably need a re grind. then the same machinist who machined the crank can match up a set of new big end shells to suit. then refit and should be sorted. Not the easiest of jobs but woth doing if the rest of the engine is ok

Guest seb
not too bad to fix, the best way to do it is to drop the crank out of the engine, this can be done with engine in car. Then take this to an machinist and get them to check the crank for wear and scoring, you will most likely be able to see yourself. the crank will probably need a re grind. then the same machinist who machined the crank can match up a set of new big end shells to suit. then refit and should be sorted. Not the easiest of jobs but woth doing if the rest of the engine is ok

oh so you can just do it through the sump? Fair enough, didn't realise that :D

Sign in to follow this