• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugbliss

Power Loss

pugbliss

hey up

right my car feels very lathargic (spelling) and lacking any real power untill say doing 70 mph + on the motorway then when the revs are high(ish) there seams to be loads of power and it pulls great!!!!!

could this be down to having a dirty hole in the centre silencer of the exhaust??????? which i have by the way. Or could it just be its own little way of saying service me you tight ba*tard!

Richie-Van-GTi

probably down to the hole, could also be ignition timing.

wildejon

Could be worth checking the vacuum advance? I know ppl say it makes no difference but it did to mine! :angry: 1 min of your time anyway. Dont do the suck test though, better to blow, you don't get loads of cr@p in your mouth that way! No innuendos please.

pugbliss

how do i do this test????

jim21070
how do i do this test????

Easy! Disconnect the vacuum advance tube from the Throttle Body. It is on a brass spigot underneath and the tube goes to the vacuum advance canister on the distributor (dizzy). Its job is to advance the ignition timing under high inlet manifold vacuum conditions such as when cruising on a small throttle opening. It has a significant effect on fuel economy as well as performance.

Get the disconnected end of the pipe between your lips and blow hard. You should not be able to blow through it and if all is well your cheeks should puff out and your face turn purple :unsure:

If you can blow through it, you either have a perished pipe or the vacuum canister is punctured. A working vacuum advance makes a tremendous difference. New canisters are not expensive and simple enough to fit.

Whilst you're in that area, check the little hole in the top of the Throttle Body where the pipe from the oil filler cap conncets. This hole is very tiny but if blocked much the same symptoms will occur.

Sign in to follow this