• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aidy

Remote Oil Filters

aidy

I am running a 1.9gti on twin 45`s. Due to the lack of space between the engine and the lowered radiator i was thinking of fitting a remote oil filter. Has anyone who has fitted one experienced any problems with one??. I am running an oil cooler but presume this will be ok?!? Noticed from looking in various parts magazines you need to know the direction of oil flow from right to left etc how do i determine this??

wardy18

cant see a problem as later model 205 1900 have the water cooled oil system, 2 pipes coming from where you would normally find the filter screwed into the block along the bottom of the rad about 30cm then another 2 pipes joining the unit from the main water pipe at the top of the rad

apparently its for in really cold coutries as water heats up faster than oil it heats the oil quicker for reliabilty when cold starting!!

so if the oil can pass along these pipes out the block, throu the filter and then back in, i cant see an issue

BUT DONT TAKE MY WORD ON IT

pug_ham

There is a standard fitment remote oil filter housing fitted to later PAS equipped 205's in th UK, I have one on my car.

There is a plate where the oil filter normally sits on the block & two pipes run from that to the heat exchanger which is bolted to the front of the gearbox & like Wardy says the top hose is a different with two pipes that run down to the exchanger to heat the oil quicker once the thermostat has opened.

Its not an oil cooler though but a heat exchanger to get the oil up to operating temperatue quicker. As water temp rise so does the oiltemp to a lesser extenet.

Graham.

post-71-1197337919_thumb.jpg

VisaGTi16v

Are the standard Mi16 ones actually a heater then as well, you know the ones that are a sandwich plate under the filter directly on the block? I guess so and they are intended to cool slightly as water temp will be less than oil when thrashing but sound like they cant be that effective? I get hot oil temp on track but never too hot however I am considering a thermostat controlled proper oil cooler

pug_ham
Are the standard Mi16 ones actually a heater then as well, you know the ones that are a sandwich plate under the filter directly on the block?

Yes, the standard fit one on an Mi16 is supposed to be an oil / water heat exchanger like those fitted to late PAS 205's.

I've done trackdays in my car in summer (when we have them) with one of these fitted, the oil & water temps have always been fine. Best thing being a cool down lap really drops the oil & water temps down quite dramatically.

Graham.

aidy

Hi

Thanx, we are running a mocal oil cooler which feeds of a sandwich plate between the block and the oil filter, so now assume i fit the remote filter plate to the sandwich plate and then run the pipes to the oil filter mount which is bolted to the front of the gear box.. and therefore job done...????

pug_ham

I doubt you'll need your Mocal oil cooler & the oil water heat exchanger, you don't want to over cool your oil, thats worse than it getting to hot.

Unless you don't intend using the water supply from the different top hose that is but I'm not sure if the adpator through the plate will be long enough or the same as the Mocal one to allow you to use them both.

Graham.

Miles

I run the heat exchanger on my CTi, I find with this both the water and oil get's very hot, One warms the other up and so on. But the remote's I think where fitted to all later car's as I've seen a few non PAS ones with this fitted, I think most have been removed now due to pipes etc failing and the cost being too high for most to replace, And the mounting bracket snaps off at the top when people stick the oil filter on too tight

It does make changing the filter a 2 second job, Handy if you've got AC fitted

petert

ALL Australian delivered 205's had the remote filter and heat exchanger. But they also had twin fans and A/C. As Miles said, the aluminium bracket that mounts to the gearbox always breaks. I just TIG them back together, and beef it up at the same time. It makes installation of an air/air cooler very easy.

VisaGTi16v

Ta Graham. Bit off topic but yes, I always did a slow down lap on my 2 track days (only sprinted up till then) and was shocked at the amount of people that didnt, ie a number of turbo cars ie Imprezas that were holding me up then would dart into the pits with no cool down!

Batfink

as the saying goes - money doesnt buy sense....

Do they not give instructions like that in the briefing before you go on track?

VisaGTi16v

Yep but then a couple of them also ignored the letting faster cars through rule, probably not helped by me being in a old shed but still! :)

aidy

Hi Mine is a 1991 non pas engine, dont think we are running a heat exchanger.. got a price for the gearbox oil filter mount from a maon dealer, not inc the take off plate or hoses etc it £91 +vat!! so won't be going that route!!! when ordering an aftermarket take off plate to fit where the filter would fit on the engine i need to know if the oil flows from left to right or vice versa!! how do i find out that?? or does anyone know??? thanx

Sign in to follow this