• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Juttie205

[Car_Restoration] Dimma Restoration

kuuner

A couple of weeks ago you came along at www.peugeotdimma.nl Noticed that you are the new owner of this Dimma. Couldn't believe that it was in this bad shape. And I have great respect that you will go on. If i were you, i should reshell it (like some others told you to do). this is amount of work, pfffff. I should be desparate...

Luckily i'm not you, so keep up the good work. And i will follow this thread! good luck.

ps; wise decision to remove the quarters before you did all the work at the front.

@ Daniel306 will sent me a PM with some details, if you want? I'm gathering info for my Dimma-register.

welshpug

I can well believe the amount of corrosion there, sticking a plastic panel on top of a rubbed down steel one is a recipe for rust!

I'm wondering if it would be more worthwhile fabricating a full replacement wide panel rather than just adding two to the shell, would save a fair bit of weight!

Juttie205

thanks for the comments guys like ive said im hoping not to reshell the car as it wouldnt be a geniune dimma then i now have all parts for front repair and have allready started cutting the rot out.

passenger quarter will be removed this week then will start repairs to front once that done car will go on rotating stand then will sort sills out and undercar and clean all arches up and reseal only then will think about refitting kit.

Juttie205

Another update....

Passenger quarter panel and sideskirt removed this one was alittle harder to get off and sadly due to some fiberglass damage over the years its looks as if the arch may have to be replaced and bumper support bracket starting to rot out(may have to make own unless some pop up in group buy again soon).

PC060063.jpg

PC060064.jpg

PC060065.jpg

As you can see bracket rotted and so has bottom of arch so looks like I will cut arch out and weld new panel in and new bracket.

PC060062.jpg

Kit Removed.

Car starting to look alittle bare...

PC060066.jpg

PC060067.jpg

PC060068.jpg

I started to remove the rotten headlight panel I tried a dummy fit of new panel and glad i did as panel wrong and wont line up with anything new one coming friday.

PC060061.jpg

PC060060.jpg

Next job is to clean up front end then start to dissasemble the other corners I have and remove the good inner wings from them then will decide where im going to cut and weld on mine then fit headlight panel that will be front repaired.

Juttie205

Here are a couple of pictures of the headlight panel and as you can see where the chassis legs go it has been welded in wrong position.

PC060058.jpg

PC060059.jpg

Edited by Juttie205

kuuner

the front seems to be worser than the back. Didn't expact that.

vtifan

did you see the genuine pug new inner wings on ebay mate.both sides available

welshpug

I'm afraid most complete front panels will be like that, best bet is to drill the spots out and sort it yourself or get separate parts.

Juttie205

think you might be right about the panel have got a new one coming today.

sensualt101

i have to say i am following your thread with great interest and have maximum respect for you saving a car with that much rot! :)

i am sure many would have gone for a reshell after finding the car in that condition!

dcc

I am surprised how much rot there is on that little beauty

however I am very glad to see the level of detail youve gone to on the car! Will be a minter when completed!

Juttie205

thanks for the comments rot is a little setback but can be fixed but my aim without sounding too bold is to have one of the cleanest dimmas when finished hence why this is a full nut and bolt restoration.

stu8v

I would scrap that shell and start with something rot free if thats your aim, your pissing in the wind other wise.

If it must be that shell for sentimental reasons get it dipped or your wasting your time as the rot will be through again in no time at all.

• Like 2

Juttie205

makes me die all the negatives why scrap shell if treated and repair correctly will be fine.Too many shells get scrapped when all they need is some tlc its a geniune dimma and I wish to keep it that way as reshelling will make it non geniune and that means something to me. Im not doing this to make money its a project that will be done over many years.

Edited by Juttie205
  • Like 7

Batfink

makes me die all the negatives why scrap shell if treated and repair correctly will be fine.Too many shells get scrapped when all they need is some tlc its a geniune dimma and I wish to keep it that way as reshelling will make it non geniune and that means something to me. Im not doing this to make money its a project that will be done over many years.

We are not quite there but there will be a point where it will be worth repairing even the poorest of shells. If the car means something to you then its no bad thing to start a trend.

Kev

• Like 3

stu8v

At the minimum it requires dipping then to kill all traces of rust imho.

Juttie205

The car is getting new front end new sills new arches and being taking back to bare metal where i can and will be treated all over and i belive it will be good for many years.

speno

Its good to see what you are doing to it , but i know where other folk are coming from . Different folks different strokes ;)

Me personally after looking at all the pics i would re shell it cos if its going to end up with so many new/used panels esp. if you do the roof its not going to be original

but i think its more the satisfaction you will get when its completed in your case

Im a twat for doing cars then just leaving them once they are done ^^

Juttie205

I allways thought restoring a car did not involve reshelling but repairing it.People say there is alot of rot most is at the front which was mostly down to a poor repair in its life as the rear of car and floor is not that bad, I have never done anything like this before and im looking forward to the challenge.

As for the roof im only putting a factory sunroof in as the one on the car does not work and i prefer the vaccum one.

• Like 2

Juttie205

I have now made a start on repairing the old girl first up was to remove engine mount bracket and outer part of inner wing.

PC090069-1.jpg

PC090070-1.jpg

PC090071-1.jpg

PC090072.jpg

Next up was drill out spot welds and remove rotten part up to shock strut and make a start on cleaning area up..

PC090073.jpg

PC090075-1.jpg

PC090074.jpg

Next up is to carefully take apart the other corners I have which will give me parts for my repair.

sensualt101

i am in agreement with you completely juttie205 in that a restoration means using every part of the original car for sake of originality or else it will be a remanufacture instead of a restoration.

i can see why some would go for a reshell to be as sure as possible to halt all corosion but i also know that you intend to do that as far as possible in your restoration which i applaud you for :)

i also agree that far too many restorable shells are being scrapped right now but as long as clean later base model shells are plentiful people will always choose the easier ( but just as time consuming! ) route of a reshell. it does have implications of creating a totally unoriginal example but can result in a car which may last longer than if it wasnt reshelled but i think that with lots of time care and skill ( not to mention money! ) most cars can be restored.

as ever to many it will be a balance of whether the cost of restoration is worth all of the above in relation to the value of the completed car ie is it economically viable in insurers terms.

many 205 fans just want to get their cars in a decent condition and modifications ( both cosmetic and mechanical ) are not a consideration so just keeping their cars on the road or improving them is not an issue so these would probably go for a reshell.

but a genuine 205 purist would take the route that you are by fully restoring and as much of the car as is possible for originality and i believe there are many more of us here that would take the route you are regardless of cost time effort and because of that you will be the proud owner of a more original car than a general 205 fan.

my personal opinion is that ultimately any mainly original 205 gtis that are either completely oem or as they left the dealership ( i dont say factory as many had dealer options fitted before sale ) whether they be peugeot standard built , dimma or guttmann body modified or fitted with period dealer fit options like skip brown engined examples or turbo technics or guttmann turbo kits fitted with documentary evidence to prove fitted when new or indeed when fitted and by whom will always hold a value premium greater than a car which has been extensively modified/improved with newer 16 valve engines , brakes etc.

i admit that i am more a purist than modifier and that it indeed can and does cost a great deal of time effort and money to re engine a car or completely overhaul the suspension , brakes etc when personalising a car but you can never count on getting any of your investment back on the work you have done ( except if you split the parts maybe? ) but in the case of returning a car back to original you do stand a chance of a return of your investment ultimately.

• Like 3

ALEX

Hats off to you with this project!

Reshelling it would be like Triggers broom!

• Like 1

Juttie205

I have made a start cleaning up new corner for drivers side really happy how good condition they are next is to take the parts I need off them and graft onto drivers side that should take care of rot on drivers side wing.

PC110079.jpg

PC110076.jpg

PC110077.jpg

PC110078.jpg

• Like 1

Juttie205

Small update...

All inner wing parts on drivers side removed so nomore rot on this corner next up is to carefully take apart the other corner I have and weld panels back in place once done can make a start on pasenger side then fit headlight panel (which I belive will be a poor fit so may need some work).

PC130080.jpg

PC130082.jpg

PC130081.jpg

• Like 1