• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ritmo

1.6 Running Rough

Ritmo

Hi,

I have just put my 1.6gti back on the road after being laid up for 4 months, it was running very well until last night going home from work!!! it started running on 3 cylinders!!!!?? :huh: there is no sign of oil contamination in the water!! as I first thought it was the head gasket!! the car still starts and ticks over very well but when you press the excelerator it is lumpy /backfires.

any suggestions welcome.

I'm thinking it might be the spark plugs or HT leads???

thanks in advance

Andy

j_turnell

If its not had a service in a while its worth doing anyway, check for any moisture in the dizzy cap and condition of your plugs and leads. Shows similar symptoms to ecu temp failiure also if its not an ignition component.

djinuk

leads, plug, dizzy , rotor arm, coil pack (mine was this) or ignition amp.. is where i would start,

BusEngineer

When i went on hoiliday earlier in the year for two weeks, i had a similar problem when i got back. The car ran fine for a day then started coughing spluttering and missing under acceleration, so i raced down the local motor factors and bought plugs, leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap. Turns out i didnt need them number 3 plug hole was about a third full with water!! Dried it out and it was perfect!

Neednt have spent money really, although i did fit all the bits id brought afterwards, just cuz i had them, its worth a look fella B)

Ritmo

thanks for the help guys. Turns out it was No. 1 sparkplug the tip was all clogged up!!! I think by the look of it the hole must have been full of water at some point!!

I put a new set of plugs in and its running fine.

Thanks again

Andy

Sign in to follow this