• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnhenry

Tired Piston Rings: Compression Test Results

johnhenry

Evening

I've just carried out a compression test on an engine i've just fitted to my 205 as i was concerned about the blue smoke when revving, I cant drive the car as its Sorn, needs a tune up.

Problem, Car does not smoke on idle, but smokes pretty badly when revved.

Compression Test Results

Dry

Cambelt

1 - 140 Psi

2 - 182 Psi

3 - 190 Psi

4 - 190 Psi

No Further testing (wet test) of 2,3,4 as these are in line with where they should be

Wet

Cambelt

1 - 170 Psi

2 - Not Tested

3 - Not Tested

4 - Not Tested

Basically, where I see it, Cylinder 1 - Piston Rings are pooped?

Cheers

John

johnhenry

Edit:

Engine History - None, bought off ebay, to basically just be usable as having serious repeating issues with a rebuilt engine :/

Have replaced Water Pump & Cambelt, all seemed in reasonable good condition, nothing have been alarming as ive carried out servicing.

Engine is a D6B 1900

If i need to provide any more information or do anything else to help, let me know.

wicked

Maybe head gasket, but with those readings I would take it apart and overhaul...

Miles

Could be anything, get a leak down test done, that will let you know whats wrong, Rings, Valves etc

johnhenry

I would have thought/from what ive read, the fact a wet test on the lower compression cylinder would indicate the fact its piston ring based rather than head based (as the wet test would have remained the same value if it were a head issue). ill be getting a head gasket test carried out to check.