• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
clayts

1.9 Calipers - What Else Do I Need?

clayts

Since I purchased my GTI over 4 years ago, it has always been running with Wilwood big brake setup. The only downside to this is that I am unable to fit standard rims - either 14 or 15".

So i have started to acquire a set of 1.9 calipers along with pads, 1.9 caliper bolts and 247mm discs to enable me return the car to a more standard look.

However, the reconditioned calipers I purchased from the UK do not include the carriers.

See image:

post-16093-0-41855900-1397570882_thumb.jpg

So what else do I need? Obviously the carriers - but is there also a kit that includes the correct bolts to attach the carrier to the caliper?

The reason I have gone this way and not the 306 etc upgrade is that I am using 1.6 GTI hubs, and are therefore fairly limited in my choices (and am trying to avoid the old 1.6 GTI calipers). I have tried base model hubs but had trouble in fitting them over my aftermarket coilovers.

welshpug

carriers will probably come with the slider pin kit, however they can be purchased separately if required.

early renault clio and citroen ZX used the same calipers as well as the 309 and 205.

• Like 1

Slo

You can't use 1.9 calipers on 1.6 gti hubs?

Tom Fenton

You can't use 1.9 calipers on 1.6 gti hubs?

You can do yes, just use the 1.6 discs.

welshpug

yes you can.

Slo

Well, wasn't 100% sure hence the ? but that's the first time I heard that. I didn't think the 1.9 hub spigot would fit through the 1.6 discs, lives n learns ^_^

welshpug

Well, wasn't 100% sure hence the ? but that's the first time I heard that. I didn't think the 1.9 hub spigot would fit through the 1.6 discs, lives n learns ^_^

what do you mean hub spigot? he's got a 1.6, using 1.6 discs, and 1.9 calipers, the caliper offset is the same, its the hub and disc that differ

I have tried base model hubs but had trouble in fitting them over my aftermarket coilovers.

in what way? they should fit just the same.

clayts

You can do yes, just use the 1.6 discs.

Yes, I should have also mentioned that I am using 1.6 GTI rotors.

in what way? they should fit just the same.

The sleeve of the hub assembly that slides over the coilover would not fit - my guess is that the hubs I have fitted currently have been slightly machined to fit the coilover.

No matter how much force, grease etc we applied, the base hub would not slide onto the coilover. In contrast, the current hub assembly is a snug fit, but not impossible.

clayts

carriers will probably come with the slider pin kit, however they can be purchased separately if required.

early renault clio and citroen ZX used the same calipers as well as the 309 and 205.

Anyone have any recommendations on where I can source a pair of carriers - from someone that will ship to Australia? The usual suppliers here cannot help.