• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Red205

Turbo Tu

Guest Red205

Has anyone tried turbocharging a Tu series engine, with great results??

I'm considering building one but it cannt exceede 1300cc are they any 1300cc Tu engines??? i know of the Tu3s but thats 1360cc so technically not legal.

thanks

Sandy

TU24 either from the 205 Rallye euro LHD version or the 106 series 1 Rallye are 1294cc.

trogboy

There was a link to a site posted on here quite a while ago (maybe 18 months - 2 years). The guy had turbo'd a 1360cc TU using a custom built exhaust manifold to mount the turbo. It wasn't too pretty but damn impressive. I think he was doing it to prove the theory before he moved onto using what he'd learnt in bigger build.

I can't remember that much about it as at the time I didn't know my arse from be elbow when it came to engines. The guy was from the continent, belgium seems to spring to mind. Some one is bound to know who it was.

Ad

trogboy

Wow! :D

He's done load of work to it since I last saw that page. Going for the mulitpoint injection set up seems to have really paid off. If you can't do the fabrication though it looks like it'd be a bit on the expensive side for sure.

Fair play to him.

Dj_mini

I turbo'd my saxo (1.6 tu) that worked very well but the box's are so weak they dont last long.

IMG_0081.jpg

Guest Red205

its has to an 8valve engine, on standard internals what is the most hp/torque that can be achieved??

TEKNOPUG

depends on teh size of the turbo. Look at the power that the R5T can achieve

stu_woac

most r5gt with big power doesnt have standard internals

you best option is to get the 106 1.3 rallye engine and some think like emerard or some other aftermarket ecu and get a tub from a rs turbo with wastegate and all using the cast manfold of the tu range you can cut the end off and weld a fitting plate for the turbo then cut the down pipe and put a plate that side (this will all want to be very insulated due to where its sitting) fitting a intercooler is easy on the 205 and because of the rallye inlet manifold being metal and the right shape it will work well on boost

the liners maybe your only weak point in the engine I reckon you could see 130-150bhp maybe more the tu iron blocks do seem to turbo well but the 1.3 is the ally block so may not perform as well

pugrallye

tu2j2's have quite high cr so it may be a sticking point as far as std internals go

stu_woac

cr ratio isnt a problem really just can run as much boost as you wont need it anyway due to high compression anyway so it will just be abit more playing with the fuel map

also you would get away with a nice thick cooper gasket

pugrallye

well thats first time i have ever heard that!

axnutty

My mate (Si) has a VTs engine running a turbo on it to very good effect. (Given its a fully road legal car but has run a 12.8 sec 1/4)

Thats just running 2 MLS gaskets! (Although plans are afoot on a new engine using forged low comp pistons etc etc)

I know a few people have turbod the ax gt engine (1360) as well to get 150bhp sort of powers....

Again as already said the ax gti/ 106 xsi engines turbo quite well...but your stuck at 1360cc. It maybe possible to bastardise some engine to create a steel block <1300cc ???? May be worth looking into. Otherwise it will have to be the 1293cc sport/rallye engine.

Guest JasonS
most r5gt with big power doesnt have standard internals

you best option is to get the 106 1.3 rallye engine and some think like emerard or some other aftermarket ecu and get a tub from a rs turbo with wastegate and all using the cast manfold of the tu range you can cut the end off and weld a fitting plate for the turbo then cut the down pipe and put a plate that side (this will all want to be very insulated due to where its sitting) fitting a intercooler is easy on the 205 and because of the rallye inlet manifold being metal and the right shape it will work well on boost

the liners maybe your only weak point in the engine I reckon you could see 130-150bhp maybe more the tu iron blocks do seem to turbo well but the 1.3 is the ally block so may not perform as well

Dont think liners will be the primary weak point. I dont think they'd be a problem at all to be honest. Standard pistons will be the first to go due to the inability to take the heat and pressure of boost. Richer mixtures of around 10-12:1 will be needed on standard pistons also as crowns will burn very quickly if even at 13:1. The result of course of this rich mixture is less power but it is essential for standard spec b/end. Then there's the amount of boost thats going to be considered and adjusting compression ratio to suit. If its low enough boost, 0.4-0.5 bar, standard compression ratio would suffice possibly as if its too low of a compression for low boost, you wont get the full benefits unless you increase boost pressure, and off boost performance will suffer. Its all design compromise and how much you want to spend really.

Sign in to follow this