• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

tdr_1976

[rally_prep] My 205 Constantly Evolving 205 Xs Road Rally Car Project

tdr_1976

Update time!

This week the car has had a fair few important jobs done on it.

I sorted two new copper brake lines to the rear of the car running them inside to keep from fouling or being punctured on rough white roads, what a s*itty job to do, glad it's done though....... :lol: .

I also brought the copper Petrol pipe into the car.

Inside;

Dscf3702.jpg

Dscf3703.jpg

Dscf3704.jpg

I finally got around to fitting the two rear Goodridge pipes, all four corners are now sorted!

Outside;

Dscf3697.jpg

As you can see, I've re routed the brake lines to come out of the rear bulkhead, they are well out of the way there!

New Shocks;

Dscf3693.jpg

I also bought a Stainless Steel 4-2-1 manifold for an 8v 106. Now all I need is to modify it and get it fitted onto the car!

Dscf3692.jpg

Dscf3691.jpg

tdr_1976

Got the manifold fitted last week. After a couple of days I noticed that the car was running hotter than it used to, by quite a bit, so I decided to put some heat wrap on it to cool it down a bit.

It worked a treat, but, I need to drop my sump guard, to finish the two pipes that run under the engine to complete it all.

I've noticed a definite difference in power throughout the rev range.

I would, however, think twice about purchasing the cheaper T304 Stainless 4-2-1 manifolds as I have.

The stud holes are out of alignment and the flange on one corner was slightly warped and the top stud holes are very close to the primaries so I had to use Allen bolts with four spring washers to sort it out.

All in all, a cheap manifold that was easy to modify to fit the 1360!

a couple of pics;

Dscf3725.jpg

Dscf3724.jpg

Edited by tdr_1976

tomcolinjones

They make a big difference dont they! I found i had to richen up the a/f ratio after fitting. The manifold i made up for mine worked well when it sealed, this was also buckled in one corner and would not go flat so i used 3 gaskets :ph34r: I now envy your space! I remember when it was easy to do most things due to the amount of room everywhere in the engine bay with the little tu3s :D

You are missing a DGV weber by the way :P

whats the next job?

tdr_1976

They make a big difference dont they! I found i had to richen up the a/f ratio after fitting. The manifold i made up for mine worked well when it sealed, this was also buckled in one corner and would not go flat so i used 3 gaskets :ph34r: I now envy your space! I remember when it was easy to do most things due to the amount of room everywhere in the engine bay with the little tu3s :D

You are missing a DGV weber by the way :P

whats the next job?

They do make a difference, especially with the heat wrap on it too!

Yes, there's loads of space to work on the engine :D

Next job is to call over to your's to pick up the engine and box, as it's part of the next phase of plans for the car.

tomcolinjones

Next job is to call over to your's to pick up the engine and box, as it's part of the next phase of plans for the car.

Like i say, its got your name on it! undercover, dry and safe :D big plans?

tdr_1976

Hi bud, nothing too exotic for the engine.

Just a bottom end re-shell, rings, re-hone and new oil pump.

Head wise, I'm going to get it ported to match the inlet and exhaust manifolds, slight skim, de coke all the bits and regrind the valve seats, and to finish it off, a nice Piper 285 Cam with vernier and uprated valve springs.

All subject to funds once I get the engine home, as my job is looking a bit shaky at the moment :(

swordfish210

Nice job, i'd think twice about the heat wrap though as i used to have some on mine and it caught fire twice on a weekend trip to the Isle Of Mull :(

tomcolinjones

Hi bud, nothing too exotic for the engine.

Just a bottom end re-shell, rings, re-hone and new oil pump.

Head wise, I'm going to get it ported to match the inlet and exhaust manifolds, slight skim, de coke all the bits and regrind the valve seats, and to finish it off, a nice Piper 285 Cam with vernier and uprated valve springs.

All subject to funds once I get the engine home, as my job is looking a bit shaky at the moment :(

'Subject to funds' is the major thing in the way of my 2 projects also at the moment. I somehow wish i kept the 1400 in to do a few events whilst building up the car, but i get ideas and cant wait! then dont see them through for 24 months or so :lol:

are you going to pugfest?

the engine is a 'good un'... was a bit poo to start with when i got the car, but after a good fiddle and service and the carb it went like a trooper. but i guess this doesnt matter as it will be basicaly a new engine anyhow after you'r done with it.

Will be nice to see such a good engine being put to good use, and a hell of a lot of fun!

Keep up the good work.

mochyndu

Fair play good progress.....keep it up :D

tdr_1976

'Subject to funds' is the major thing in the way of my 2 projects also at the moment. I somehow wish i kept the 1400 in to do a few events whilst building up the car, but i get ideas and cant wait! then dont see them through for 24 months or so :lol:

are you going to pugfest?

the engine is a 'good un'... was a bit poo to start with when i got the car, but after a good fiddle and service and the carb it went like a trooper. but i guess this doesnt matter as it will be basicaly a new engine anyhow after you'r done with it.

Will be nice to see such a good engine being put to good use, and a hell of a lot of fun!

Keep up the good work.

Cashflow is the bain of my Pug project too....lol!

I've got the cash to buy the engine, but not enough to start work on it for a while :(

Although I've got the car to a fairly decent spec now, I can enjoy not having to be under the bonnet for a while!

tdr_1976

Fair play good progress.....keep it up :D

Cheers Matey!

tdr_1976

It's time for a well overdue update!

Not much has been happening recently on the car, but I have done one event with it this month, the third round of MAS PCA Championship.

The event was on Tuesday the 10th of May.

We turned up, got the car scruitineering with no problems at all, in fact the scruitineer was impressed with how tidy the car was and was asking me why the hell I keep abusing it on Autotests as "it should be in a garage kept under a dust cover to preserve a fairly rare car" :lol:

Moving back to the Autotest, there was a strong field of competitors, with only one car with a smaller engine than mine, a Fiat Cinquencento at 1000cc, the rest were two 1.6 & two 1.9 Pug GTi's a 1760 106 and two 2.0 16v Mk 3 Astras with most cars being shared all in all there were ten of us fighting for the win.

Nowadays, the Car Club have decided to do away with Engine size classes and it everyone in the mix for the win! As it was an evening event, there were two tests with four runs on each with all times being kept towards the final score.

I set a joint fastest time of the evening for the PCA (passenger car autotest) class on the first test, and second fastest time on the second test, which I was absolutely chuffed with as it was only my third autotest ever.

Myself and the navigator would have been chuffed with a top five finish, especially with so many quicker cars than mine, but, at the end of the evening we finished second overall, we were chuffed to bits with the pace we were at!

The car is fantastic at the moment, with the Exhaust manifold, new rear brakes and quick rack it's beginning to be a force to be reckoned with on the Auototests!

All hail the 1360...... :lol:

Anyhoo, here's a few pictures of the the evening :D

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Edited by tdr_1976

dave_gti

Excellent project!, I’m surprised to see someone else from Anglesey on here :)

tdr_1976

Excellent project!, I’m surprised to see someone else from Anglesey on here :)

Thanks mate, where on Anglesey are you?

tdr_1976

Well, it's been a long time since I've done any serious work on the car, but I did a fair bit to it last weekend.

I fitted a twin fan set up to help the cooling system, I decided to run both fans independently so I had more control over the cooling, as I do three different kinds of events.

Old fan cowling taken out ready for the twin set up.

Dscf4092.jpg

Out with the old

Dscf4093.jpg

And in with the new

Dscf4094.jpg

New slam panel painted and fitted.

Dscf4101.jpg

I also took both struts off, and fitted Poly bushes instead of the standard rubber ones. What a difference it made, it now feels tighter and more responsive, it was the last part of the whole front end to be poly bushed!

Once that was done, I fitted a new set of Mintex 1144 brake pads. I previously had Green Stuff fitted, I never thought the difference would be as much as it is, cold braking with the Green stuff was bad to say the least but even when up to optimum temprature the window was very small in which they would fade, but the Mintex are spot on throughout all the ranges.

I gave the engine a good service, changing the Oil & Filter, new ignition leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm and new set of plugs, the only pain in the arse is that before I can change the oil and filter, I have to take the sump guard off, and as you can see, it's had it's work cut out this year so far, and I have three more Rallies to do with it yet.............

Dscf4091.jpg

The control panel with the second switch fitted

Dscf4102.jpg

I also re wired the whole spot lamp wiring loom, and treated the spots to some shiny new connections

Dscf4097.jpg

That's it for now :)

arwel

Nice work there. Thats a lovely looking centre console. I have a sheet of aluminium for mine now as I have a few a cut off switch and pull cords to install. Ma get some carbon fibre style sheeting now and wrap it cause that looks quality.

tdr_1976

Nice work there. Thats a lovely looking centre console. I have a sheet of aluminium for mine now as I have a few a cut off switch and pull cords to install. Ma get some carbon fibre style sheeting now and wrap it cause that looks quality.

I'm glad I inspired you mate! Remember the pics when you finish it!

michael_jenkins

Looks awesome mate, much cleaner than mine!

Where did you get the twin fan out of interest?

tdr_1976

Hi matey, I got the twin fans from a diesel 205 I had.

tdr_1976

Thought I'd show a few pics of an event I did three weeks ago, seeing as I've had a change of plan and no longer selling the XS :lol:

This was the last round of the MAS PCA Championship, it was located in an old quarry, and it was a brilliant day out in the Pug!

I only had a couple of things happen throughout the day, the glass fell out of the drivers front headlamp, and i picked up a stone on the rear right tyre and ripped the rear vallance off, apart from that, the car didn't miss a beat!

Hope you like the pics!

PCArnd51.jpg

PCArnd52.jpg

PCArnd53.jpg

PCArnd54.jpg

PCArnd55.jpg

PCArnd56.jpg

PCArnd57.jpg

PCArnd58.jpg

The next phase of plans, is now to Stage Rally Prepare the car for next year!

As a starting point, I have made a purchase last weekend;

kentcam.jpg

More pictures to follow, once I make a start!

arwel

Looks like good fun in the quarry. On road tyres though... you mad man. :lol:

tdr_1976

Looks like good fun in the quarry. On road tyres though... you mad man. :lol:

It all adds to the fun factor....... :lol: :lol:

tdr_1976

I made a start on preparing the XS for Stage Rallying last week.

I stripped out the carpets & sound proofing, then cleaned the floor pan, primed and painted it. I added a heel plate to the drivers side, and made a new ali plate for the cut off switch and extinguisher T handle.

I'm going to sort out the Fuel and Brake lines this weekend, so that they all run on the passengers side, as well as a mounting bracket for the Vertical Hyd Handbrake.

A few pics of how it's currently looking;

Dscf4149.jpg

Dscf4150.jpg

Dscf4151.jpg

Dscf4152.jpg

bensonmi

loving the ralio sticker got one on mine! :) cars looking good too btw, glad you didnt sell it!