Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mondeo Woes!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 964 posts
Garage View Garage

Hi all,

My sensible car is a Mk 4 Mondeo 1.8 TDCI.(09plate) Its recently decided to illuminate the engine management light and go into limp mode.

Now I really hate this limp mode nonsense- I swear my Pug would be in permanent Limp mode if such a thing had existed back in '89!

So I plugged a reader in and found that the issue is EGR related (which I suspected).

I've bought a Haynes manual and researched removing the EGR valve to decoke it but in order to do this I need to remove (according to Haynes) the Turbo, inlet manifold, EGR cooler and CAT.

This seems excessive - so is anybody else on here unfortunate enough to own a Mondeo  and had this issue? I could really do with a bit of advise before I commence a strip of the car.

I am a member of the Fordtalk forum but frankly its pretty poor and nobody ever seems to want to offer any help!

many thanks

P

Pugleyrich

Pugleyrich
  • Drivers
  • 445 posts
  • Name:Rich
Does this help? They make it seem fairly simple... If it is the same engine as yours.

http://www.fordowner...l-and-cleaning/

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 964 posts
Garage View Garage

I think its a different engine.. not 100% sure!

Attached Files

• Attached File  EGR1.jpg   144.54KB   0 downloads

Edited by Telf, 01 August 2016 - 07:57 PM.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 964 posts
Garage View Garage

I think the valve is just the bit ive labelled with the red line- trying to conform if the 1.8 and 2.0 are the same. The manifold is the big chunk underneath

dan_gti6

dan_gti6
  • Passengers
  • 4 posts

Hi Telf, unfortunately I believe the EGR valve is part of the inlet manifold on your particular engine. This is the reason for the complicated removal procedure. There are a few products available in the aftermarket designed for EGR cleaning that are sprayed into the air intake but i do not think they are that effective.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 964 posts
Garage View Garage

Hey Dan

I finally decided to pump and can of EGR cleaner into the manifold. Ive also fitted a EGR blanking valve so shouldn't have any more dramas hopefully!