• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fiji bob

Losing The Spare

fiji bob

does anyone drive without a spare wheel to cut down on weight? i took mine off so i could get to the rear beam easier and found the car drives noticeably better without it, less lean and better turn in the rear ride height is higher than the front atm though so its probably exaggerated the effect a bit

Ahl

Ive been driving about without the spare for a while now, and just kept a large bottle of tyre weld instead.

Tbh, though im going to put it back on, or at least a light weight space saver. Tyre weld doesn't always work, especially if the side wall gets punctured, and I hate to think about getting stranded in the middle of the highlands on a cold dark night. Or worse, in a pikey estate! :)

Robbie G

I took my spare wheel off to get the tyre changed and left it out for a bit, and yes it made a slight difference to the feel of the car in corners. I put it back in though because I don't have any AA cover or anything.

fiji bob

glad its not my imagination then, i was thinking about a space saver as well :)

Guest sillypugger

depending on how big the hole in the sidewall is then tyreweld does work.

has sorted two sidewall holes for me.

tagy

yeah i took mine out.

will put it back when i drive home[edinburgh -> london] and back.

1 FAT PUG

i didnt have one on mine and got comin back from skegness one night after going to see my parents at there caravan and i got a punny, got the trusted tyreweld out but it ripped the side wall, so i had to get my dad to come out and pick me up and take me to my house to get a spare, before i rang my dad i rang the rac place up and they wanted £200+ to come and fit me a tyre :):lol:

danGTI

started driving round without one when i'd put my 1.9 wheels on. The spare had a 195 on so it wont fit! I just carry around the can of tyre weld that i had from my last car (which also had no spare). If the worst comes to the worst i'll get a mate to pick up the spare and bring it to me, unless i'm driving long distance of course in which case i'll either carry it in the boot (which could be dangerous!) or borrow my dads 1.6 astra.

Edited by danGTI

Guest rob s

Took mine off for about a year of driving.

Had some way too hairy moment on roundabouts (damp-wet). Far too much weight on the front and nothing on the back. Put the wheel back on sharpish!

Good straight line / summer (dry) driving however! Noticable acceleration improvement...

Guest turnip

cure #83 for sagging rear end on the 1.6.

remove spare and bolt to bonnet a la Landrover!

bound to help that understeer

:angry:

tom_m

hmm i have no spare, but i think the stereo gear in the boot more than makes up for it not being there weightwise :angry:

Sign in to follow this