• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jamiej

What Are Your Opinons On These

jamiej

Im as sceptacle as the next person when it comes to things being too good to be true but have a look at these and let me know what you think.

Seems very cheap for a full HID kit with a 1 year warrenty

Has anyone on here gone for HID and if so, what is it like, has anyone bought a cheap set from Hong Kong and if so what are they like.

Jamie

Cheap HID lights eBay link

timmsy19

i read somewhere that aftermarket HID kits were actually illigal.

marc t

Been using a cheap single beam kit for a couple of years. It was a uk seller but the parts were shipped from China. 1 ballast did pack up and all I was asked was to send it to the uk guy. A few days later a new one turned up from China.

There are a lot of sellers on ebay so its really a case of checking all the feedback I guess. I have never tried one of these dual kits which is what the 205 would require for the H4 bulb so I can't comment on them.

Ref the post above. They are against the law because they need auto headlamp levelling, headlamp washers and the lamp should be approved for HID. If you are going to go HID, make sure you don't go to blue in the colour (not only is it obvious, the bluer (Higher k rating) you go the less light output you get) and make sure you have the levels checked and properly set up to reduce the risk of dazzling people etc. (6000k is the most common aftermarket rating)

Please note, I am note advising people to break the law, if you want to fit HID, it is at your risk although my other car has not been flashed and the beam pattern is correct and its passing the mot etc.

Rom

I 'relieved' a sales car from auction of a set.

Never got them to work properly though. So gave up.

I doubt youll have much trouble law wise. Unless as said, you get quite blue ones. And there setup ok.

Oakley

My only worry is that they are from Hong Kong :D (Only had bad experiances buying from there myself)

And if they do turn out to be a pile of s*ite then thats you 34 quid out of pocket :)

Ryan

Pretty much all of the kits on ebay are from the far east - in fact they're all the same 3 or 4 kits in different boxes.

weejimmy

most of the kits full stop are from china,

its not realy a bad thing these days as the quality is much beter than it used to be from china in general.

and if you buy them and there not what you want you can alway sell them again on ebay for a few £ loss.

just strangley cheap at that price. but as said if its not what you expected just put it back up for sale

damien

ive been running HIDs for afew years now and im a big fan of them, ive had 2 MOTs by the local peugeot garrage without any problems.

Quigs

which kit would you need for the 205? as they do a telescopic set and another set with a hid bulb and a halogen bulb.

Cheers

Quigs

Super Josh

Just be aware that the kit linked above isn't a bi-xenon one, which you'll need for a 205 with it's H4 bulbs.

@Quigs, bet the telescopic bi-xenon ones, the ones with an normal halogen bulb fixed on is a bit pants really.

Also be aware that you will need a load resistor if you are fitting it to a 205, this prevents the problem where the driving lights will switch on but not switch off until you turn off the ignition :ph34r:

Josh

Quigs
Just be aware that the kit linked above isn't a bi-xenon one, which you'll need for a 205 with it's H4 bulbs.

@Quigs, bet the telescopic bi-xenon ones, the ones with an normal halogen bulb fixed on is a bit pants really.

Also be aware that you will need a load resistor if you are fitting it to a 205, this prevents the problem where the driving lights will switch on but not switch off until you turn off the ignition :rolleyes:

Josh

Cheers Josh,

i will go for the telescopic ones if i do decide to get them, what do you mean by load resistor? and where would it be fitted?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

Quigs

Super Josh
Cheers Josh,

what do you mean by load resistor? and where would it be fitted?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

Quigs

The problem with fitting HIDs to a 205 is with the driving lights. When you switch the headlights on to main beam the driving lights come on as expected. But because of the way the driving light relay is wired up it needs the load from the headlight bulb to help it switch off when you change back to low beam. The result is that when you switch to high beam, then back to low, the driving lights remain illuminated until you switch off the ignition :)

HIDs don't provide enough load, so you need to wire up a load resistor of around 6 -7 Ohms and 50 Watt rating (These are available from Ebay for around £3.50 Here or for one with pre-wired tails Here which are a little more money) between the low beam connection and ground on one of your headlight wiring loom plugs. This isn't usually a problem because most of the later HID kits only plug into one of the headlight plugs, leaving the one on the other side for the load resistor.

The resistor will get quite hot (like the slow fan speed and dim-dip resistor) so will need bolting to the body to help conduct the heat away)

Josh

Sign in to follow this