• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
watford1gti

Wiring Looms

watford1gti

right as a few of you know im rebuilding the miami blue, ive taken the engine out and removed a wing t get tp the rusty bits.

only problem im thinking now is once ive repaired the crusty bits im going to want to get the engine bay painted, but i still got the looms in the way, how easy is it to remove the looms?

and also i want the brake system out of the way, ive seen s few master cylinders on the web and on fleabay and they are all still attached to the pedals, is this the only way to remove them?

cheers matty

Cameron

Absolute piece of wee-wee. :rolleyes:

The only difficult part is remembering where all the plugs went, so be sure to label them and maybe take some photos of the layout so you know where it all went. Its fairly easy with old looms though as the wires will be pretty much 'set' in place, so if you get stuck you can judge what went where as its more than likely the wires will almost fall into place when you put the loom back in. Oh, and squeezing it all through the hole in the firewall can be a bit of a pain, especially if the engines still in.

The master cylinder comes off by undoing the two nuts at either side, and all the brake lines. Unless you mean the servo, then I don't know as I've never removed one.

pip470

The servo is conected to the brake peddle with a little rod and clip, It can be fiddly as space is tight in the footwell.

watford1gti

i must admit i havent even looked at the brake servo and master cylinder in the light, but yeah ill try and remove the clip in the footwell,

i mean remove the wiring loom from the ecu maybe, the reason is i want to get the engine bay repainted because im going to be grinding and welding bits and bobs so i want to get it painted to make it look good again,

cheers for the help so far

matt

GLPoomobile

Engine loom is easy to remove. Though on mine I prefer to pull the ECU plug and 2 under dash brown plugs through the bulkhead in to the engine bay, rather than going the other way and pulling all the individual sensors through in to the car. It can be a tight squeeze forcing the ECU plug through the hole, but it's doable.

But then you've got the other loom for all the other s*it like lights etc. Haven't removed one of them before. You could just wrap it up in a bag to protect it from the paint and then support it out of the way and paint around it, I suppose.

Super Josh
But then you've got the other loom for all the other s*it like lights etc. Haven't removed one of them before.

That one is just as easy to remove, although you have a few more plugs to get through the bulkhead, but at least each plug is smaller than an ECU one :)

Josh

Phil H
i must admit i havent even looked at the brake servo and master cylinder in the light, but yeah ill try and remove the clip in the footwell,

and the four nuts that hold he servo on, that you have to remove the sound deadening and foam to get at and swear a lot as ou try and get your hand in to get at them.

watford1gti

thanks boys really helpful, i think ill pull the light loom through into the car and pull the other one through into the engine bay, im sure ill be posting back in here before xmas though

im going to try and get up the garage on saturday and have a go at it all, especially my new repair panel i made today at work yipee ;)

matt

Cameron

The only thing about pulling the ECU loom into the engine bay is that you need to take the dash apart to get the loom out as it goes over the steering column. Much easier to thread the loom into the car if you ask me. Light loom is easy to remove too, leave the wing indicator leads in though as they're a bitch to get back in place.

GLPoomobile

Yeah, I never thought about the dash as mine is an Mi so has already had the loom removed before.

watford1gti

oh right ok, i think ill try and pull it into the car then, i dont really want to take all the dash apart just yet,

cheers people

matt

Sign in to follow this