Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Front Supframe Welding?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

mmt

mmt
  • Drivers
  • 380 posts
  • Name:Martin
I am about to stich weld My front subframe(extra strenght). Track use only. Any thoughts or reccommedations on How to do it and How not to do it?

Thanks guys.

Edited by mmt, 12 September 2017 - 12:56 PM.

allanallen

allanallen
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,669 posts
  • Name:Allan Storer
Garage View Garage
Last one I did I stitched all the seams (inch of weld then inch gap), cut the thin round brace thing off and added a cross brace supporting each rear wishbone mount.
I had the whole subframe sandblasted prior to welding it but the amount of s*ite that poured out of the seams was still pretty bad, I'd suggest a thorough clean before hand!

How much strength stitching the frame gives is debatable, I would say the cross braces on the rear mounts are worthwhile though as they're the mounts that take the majority of abuse.

Edited by allanallen, 12 September 2017 - 03:06 PM.