Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Restoration] Scruffy But Original 1.9 Gti - Restoration

1.9 black restoration

283 replies to this topic

speno

speno
  • Drivers
  • 450 posts
  • Name:Spencer
Garage View Garage

Turn that bloody music down then ;0)

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
  • Name:Jonathan
Garage View Garage
Radio 1 mate. Keepin' down with the kidz.

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage

Finally got back to working on the car! Had the small matter of my wedding to get done in the last few weeks so not had much chance to work on the car. Bought a compressor today as I couldn't face painting the underside of the car with a brush or roller. The compressor should also come in handy later for the engine bay and some body prep.

I have to say I'm really pleased with how its come out! So far I've done the fuel tank pocket, the cross member under the boot floor so I can support the car there, take the rear beam out, then paint the boot floor. Also done both the wheel arches on the drivers side and 99% of the floor pans. Need to put the front suspension back together, get the rear wheel back on and then I can push it outside and spin it round so I can do the other side (bloody pain having a tiny garage).

The paint (epoxy mastic) seems to go on well.. time will tell.....

Attached Files

• Attached File  57.jpg   118.43KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  58.jpg   112.12KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  56.jpg   117.3KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  59.jpg   115.62KB   1 downloads

nveeate

nveeate
  • Drivers+
  • 270 posts
  • Name:Nveeate
It's looking good. If that's the Epoxy Mastic 121 stuff you can overpaint with body colour...you planning to do this, or leave it black?

dale205mills

dale205mills
  • Drivers+
  • 467 posts
Garage View Garage

Nice to see anther 205 owner in Portsmouth, look forward to seeing it out on the road, this mite sound strange but did you buy that 205 from a road off albert road near southsea as there used to be a black 205 parked down there on and off for years.

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage

It's looking good. If that's the Epoxy Mastic 121 stuff you can overpaint with body colour...you planning to do this, or leave it black?

Evening! I'll just leave it black I think. The car is black anyway. I'm pleased with how it's gone on. Solid as a rock today!

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage

Nice to see another 205 owner in Portsmouth, look forward to seeing it out on the road, this mite sound strange but did you buy that 205 from a road off albert road near southsea as there used to be a black 205 parked down there on and off for years.

Thankyou! No I got it from a lady who lived on Thorney Island (near Emsworth). She'd had it 18 months or so, can't remember now I'll have to dig out the paperwork. She was fed up with piling money into it I think. The rear beam was totally busted, and the engine blew out a huge amount of smoke so she decided to call it quits. She had some seriously large bills for some recent work (cam belt, brakes etc) I'm not surprised she gave up on it, it drove like a right old dog.

I'll have to have a look out for another black one next time I stumble out of the Wine Vaults! :-)

Edited by Plumbob, 12 June 2014 - 07:06 PM.

dale205mills

dale205mills
  • Drivers+
  • 467 posts
Garage View Garage

Thanks for the click reply, that's another little gem to come out from emsworth way, in one of the turnings on your way to Harris's scrap yard there is a nursery that some times have a roller shutter door open with a few 205's in there, it do make you think how many 205's are still out there owned by old people :D There is a old boy with a white 205 gti that you see going along the top of the hill some times.

If you are on your travels one night walk up Lawrence road, which is off albert road and you mite see the black 205, it comes and go's :)

sorry to hi jack your thread.

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage

I've seen the white one with the old guy on top of the hill! I was up there today actually (Micks Monster Burgers) Haha

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage

Can't believe I've not updated this since June!!

To cut a long story short I finally finished the underside, and the car has gone away for a respray. I'm hoping it'll be back maybe the end of next week and rest assured people i'll be straight back on here with some photos to show off the new black paintjob!

Before it went away I managed to get hold of a Phase 1 VTS rack (car had no PAS originally) and I got the front subframe & anti roll bar blasted and powder coated. Only thing I need to finish it off properly is the boot for the PAS ram....mmmmmm, not sure where to get one from...

Also fitted a Quaife diff along with some new bearings, new clutch fork bushes, gearbox input shaft oil seal, and helicoiled one of the gearbox threads that some turkey had snapped one of the engine bolts off in. I managed to drill the remains of the old bolt out but the thread did suffer a bit in the process (the top 5mm of it was already ripped out) so I re-drilled it and fitted a helicoil.. It's got to be better than the NOTHING that was there when I bought the car!

Recently I've changed the cambelt on the GTI-6 engine just as a precaution, and did the water pump while I was there. Got myself a twin type VSS and a plug for it from a scrappy and wired that into the loom which came with the engine so that's ready to go, even managed to get the little heat shield that protects it from the exhaust when I was getting the plug.

I've given my exhaust manifold and downpipe to Miles to be reangled and will be letting Bridgecraft sort out the front hubs as they are looking slightly oval and I'm guessing will only get worse.

The seats and carpet have had some attention, started by giving the carpet a good scrub with warm soapy water and a brush and then to finish it off used a carpet vac to give the seats and carpet a good going over. Had to rebuild the bolster on the drivers side and called on the sewing services of my step mother who remade both of the bits of material that pull the base seat cover tight under the back of the seat. They were both ripped and the foam was showing but they look bloody lovely again now! Not keen on those rings that hold the covers together, what a pain they are!

Next thing on the list is to give the rear beam I bought on here a quick coat of paint to make it look a but more presentable and i'll be ready to put the thing back together again!

Attached Files

• Attached File  69.jpg   140.91KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  71.jpg   132.35KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  72.jpg   128.58KB   1 downloads

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage
Photobucket test!

3655EEFD-3231-4AA6-AF88-961B69FFE10C_zps

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage
Right! I'll keep it short!

I visited the bodyshop today and they've finally got cracking with the respray! There was rather a lot of filler in the passenger side rear quarter so they stripped it all out, fixed the dent and now it just requires a thin layer of filler rather than the huge amount that was there before.... Few bits done on the doors too so all in all looking good!
3F7B75DA-5209-4DBB-B6EA-93186839AD5C_zps
1F4FEC2C-1926-46B6-9913-EF8A668C922B_zps
2B0381E0-D824-435F-966A-619435AC24D0_zps
EAF5DD86-6202-416B-9A55-E745DF03B9B5_zps
5CF0394D-D447-47A7-A219-B55B7DDB63FB_zps

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage
After seeing a load of 205's at Goodwood it got me in the mood to do a couple of jobs. So this afternoon I've painted the hubs that Allenallen refurbed for me and had the 399th attempt to paint my rear beam. I know you're thinking I should strip it, get it blasted and powder coated, and deep down inside I know I probably should too, but it's a good beam in good condition, and I don't want to muck about stripping it for the sake of a nicer paint job.
I tried and failed to use some Hammerite "direct to metal" aerosol a few weeks back, God knows what I did wrong, I buzzed all the old paint back to bare metal, did about 5 or 6 thin coats (of yellow) as directed and it barely covered the bare metal, then in frustration I did a "heavy" layer and the runs were unbelievable! The whole thing looked sh**e so I've stripped it back again and had another go but I'll use some bog standard grey primer and some cans of normal yellow and red paint this time. Fingers crossed I won't balls it up again!

00599E78-E422-462A-A289-1FC3065F36D2_zps

4832B0F8-CC9A-47DA-BAE6-B6DB930486E5_zps

Edited by Plumbob, 05 October 2014 - 04:23 PM.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,784 posts
I don't know here you got the beam but to be honest how do you know what the condition is, if it hasn't been to bits?

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage

I don't know here you got the beam but to be honest how do you know what the condition is, if it hasn't been to bits?

I got it from alexcrosse on here, who I believe got it from a guy called Cameron (dirty word on here I understand), it was described as "very little miles". Its not locked solid like my old one, didn't creak when I fitted it to my car to try it out, and no 'orrible camber on the rear wheels...

I guess if i'm honest i'm a bit scared of taking the thing to bits. I've done most bits on a car before but never a beam like that.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,784 posts
If it's been done recently then it should come apart easily and all being well need a couple of seals and some new grease. At least then you know where you are with it.

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage

Ah bloody ell! okaaaaaaay... haha  :P

I'll have a look at the beam rebuild guide and see what I think....

speno

speno
  • Drivers
  • 450 posts
  • Name:Spencer
Garage View Garage

It's easy takes me about 2 mins 

This is how it goes ....

pick's up phone Dials Toms number 

Tom I need a beam 

:P

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage
Give Tom a ring for me will you?

Plumbob

Plumbob
  • Drivers+
  • 324 posts
Garage View Garage

Got a call this morning from the bodyshop! It's done! Woohooo!

2F09BBC0-7A52-4CAD-81D1-43BC6BF5D80C_zps

AF864601-DBB6-4F59-8F06-C63DBE1F9AB6_zps

Edited by Plumbob, 09 October 2014 - 12:04 PM.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1.9, black, restoration