• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
danGTI

Roof Ariel Fitting

danGTI

I've just got hold of a roof ariel as my gti one was broken off when i bought it. While not convinced it's from a gti as the man i bought it from over the net claimed (it's nearly 2 foot long, they're not meant to be that long are they??) but the base looks the right size so i'll stick it on regardless, and maybe cut it down to size when it's on. Are they easy to fit? I've not had chance to look at how the stump that's on there now is held in place cos it's peeing it down outside, but i imagine it's held on my a short bolt or some sort? What do i need to do to remove what's there and replace it with the new one? Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom ;)

Edited by danGTI

Alan_M

2ft long aerial sounds about right. Mine comes to the back of the sunroof.

Replacing is easy.

Remove courtesy light, undo nut that holds aerial on, remove the clamp type thing by squeezing with a pair of pliers, remove another nut and remove the mount.

I'd clean the area up before replacing the mount.

danGTI

nice one, cheers mate. Looks like i'm gonna need to do some t cutting now, ;) lol

danGTI

what are these things made of?? My hands are full of glass fibre-ish splinters now! I take it it's safe to cut through? it's too long and i never listen to the radio so i'll hack it down to size.

pacey205

Dunno what theyre made of but cutting it down is not a problem, done it to mine as well as theyre stupidly long as standard. I just removed the cap off the end, cut it down to the length I wanted and then stuck the cap back on, simple.

Radio reception is still as good as it was before but it ooks soooooo much better.

Michael

danGTI

i'd guess it's fibre glass but it's more like a bit of wooden dowling lol. I think i'll give it a bit of a spray cos it looks cack the colour it is.

danGTI

btw cheers fellas

richt

Argh ha, thank god for thre search function. Have the new base for mine, popped out the light, couldnt work out how to access the nut, the bit covering it just pulls off then?

Cheers

Rich

richard

You can get a shorter amplified one from ECP i think...this is a stubby one.

However the longer one looks better personally.

Cheers for the instructions! Some d*ck had busted my one before i got the car and its currently on my 'jobs to do' list :angry:

danGTI

yeah, took me an hour to get the metal bit off though, like all things 205 it's difficult to access properly! Hmmm, think this was my first ever topic post on here.

EDIT: maybe not, i joined on the 12th. funny to see old topics come up like this though, search is very handy!

Edited by danGTI

NickR

Also I used copper slip and silicon sealer to try and prevent rust and keep water tight.

richt
yeah, took me an hour to get the metal bit off though, like all things 205 it's difficult to access properly! Hmmm, think this was my first ever topic post on here.

EDIT: maybe not, i joined on the 12th. funny to see old topics come up like this though, search is very handy!

What is the best way to get the metal bit off, just had another look now but after washing her my hands are too cold!

Ahl

Quick question, is the standard OE aerial supposed to unscrew so you can put it through car washes?

richt

It should yes.

danGTI
What is the best way to get the metal bit off,

the usual, brute force and lots of swearing lol i ended up tugging at it with pliers until it wiggled free, it actually felt like quite an achievment once i finally removed it!

danGTI
It should yes.

mine doesn't, i tried once and ended up with loads of splinters in my hand grrr

Guest james205gti

Mine doesnt either.

I never put my car through those carwashs anyway. Scratchs the bodywork to f**k :)

Anyway, there is another way round it. Open the sunroof, put a thin bit of string round the bottom of the arial, then close the sunroof. The arial should be held down to the roof, then wash away...

Sign in to follow this