• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

j_turnell

[Car_Upgrade] Stdt Now With A Few More Horses.

Anthony

Can't quite make it out in the picture, but what's that in the top hose that you're using as a takeoff for the heat exchanger?

Is it a solid pipe with the appropriate restrictor (or whatever it is that ensures that you have some flow through the exchanger) and if so, where did you source it?

j_turnell

It is a standard Pug item Anthony. Any 309/205 hose that has the heat exchanger has that nylon takeoff inside. You just have to cut off the black shiny plastic that covers it, remove the rubber pipes then you can put whatever hoses on you like to make a neat job of it.

• Like 1

Anthony

Ah, brilliant - I've got a couple of spare 309 GTi top hoses, but hadn't realised that was hiding underneath the shiny black cover part :)

j_turnell

It can be bit of a PITA to remove. Easiest way I found was to cut along the back then down the sides of the two outlets and it will peel off. Just be careful not to go to deep otherwise you can cut the outlet underneath.

• Like 1

allye

That's a common place to rub on the inlet, can see where yours has rubbed in the previous car, mine was the same!

j_turnell

It's actually the other side that's rubbing. Yeah the right hand side has been filed down. The strengthening rib on the bonnet hits the left corner. It just needs a bit cutting out then it should clear fine.

dcc

Are you selling the old throttle body setup?

j_turnell

Yes I will be selling the TB setup. I will try and sell it complete first with the modified mount, pas relocation kit etc etc.

dcc

Will you let me know when you do, I have a friend needing a setup!

• Like 1

j_turnell

A bit more progress. I was trying to find somewhere to mount a boost gauge. The only real place was in the gauge pod I made previously. This meant cutting the middle out and bonding in a new panel allowing for 3 gauges. Bit of a pita but it's done now and turned out pretty well. A couple of bits still need touching up but it's fine to get the car going again. Just need to plumb it in and wire it up.

88300122-c5b5-4bf1-ad39-c797fea9e6e7_zps

Next was the throttle cable, I had to enlarge the hole on the inlet slightly to allow the plastic cable adjuster to go through but all done and I'm getting full throttle. Thought I'd move on to the throttle pot next. I liked the idea of keeping the standard TPS so that's what I've done for now. Found a plug for it off a standard loom and soldered and heat shrunk the wiring over joining to the Omex. Pinned it out using the multimeter. I set the min and max on the laptop, it falls within range and the throttle operates fine.

I offered up the cossie intercooler and it looks like it will slot in fine behind the grill. Just bought a silicone reducer pipe to go from the charger to the cooler. I'm still undecided on radiators. A rad tech would definitely make life easier as the boost pipes can have a nice short run, crazy money for a bloody radiator though. I'll throw in the TD rad I have and see what I'm up against.

Map sensor also arrived so I need to mount that somewhere and plumb it into a vacuum line. I think I will block the outlet off the throttle body and T everything into the line to the fuel reg, including the boost gauge.

allye

Only thing that put me off the super short pipe from blower to intercooler is the engine movement tugging the intercooler about?

Are you solid mounting the IC?

Radtec is bloody nice thing, if you are considering it give them a call as they did me a good sized discount by just asking, made to order and comes in less than 2 weeks.

j_turnell

Fair enough, I'll give them a call, cheers. I won't be solid mounting the cooler, I'll be using some rubber bobbins to cut down on vibration and hopefully allow for a bit of engine movement like you say. It's got group n top and bottom mounts so there shouldn't be a huge amount of movement., I didn't notice much when it was last on the rollers.

j_turnell

I got a bit more done today. Sorted out all the vacuum pipes, just need to mount the map sensor and wire it up. Brake servo pipe hooked up, bit of a pain to do as the coil is right in the way but managed it eventually.

The big progress was the intercooler. I cleaned it up and gave it a lick of paint yesterday, I also fitted the bung for the re-circ outlet that I won't be using. After a bit of faffing about I managed to get it to mount onto the end of the charger. I cut down a reducer pipe I bought off ebay and it now fits fine. Next was mounting it. I ran a piece of flat bar across the centre attaching to the already drilled holes in the front bumper brackets. All that's left is to get a couple of bobbins to mount between the bracket and the intercooler. I want to try and make the conversion removable without modifying the actual car too much where possible.

I looked at trying to use a standard rad, it's not going to happen. The main issue is the height, I only have room in front of the front panel, and the standard rad sits to low so a Radtec it is.

intercooler_zpskbsynbx7.jpg​

photo%202_zpsjs9jt6mb.jpg​

The bottom of the cooler is just above the top of the front bumper so it should get good air flow through the front grill, which fits perfectly just in front.

allye

Looks really good, will be very interested to see if the radiator doesn't sit too low under the IC? Forgot if I already asked, is it a 306 or 205 inlet?

j_turnell

Cheers. I measured down and I have 235mm at the level of the bottom of the front panel and that's what the rad is apparently. Fingers crossed. It's a 306 inlet afaik, good job I'm running an auto bonnet as otherwise is deff have to get it shortened.

• Like 1

allye

Ahhhh didn't see the auto bonnet. I had mine shortened by a fabricator as it was too long.

Lynx want £300 exchange with mine for a 205 specific inlet.

j_turnell

Ha is that all!?

How have you routed your bottom hose? Looks to me like I may have to hole saw through the front panel..

allye

Exactly that, my radiator is in front Of the headlight panel so straight through it, I have no quarrels cutting it up unlike you! Taken the rad support bracket out.

j_turnell

Looks like the only good way to do it. I can always weld it up at a later date if required. There's hardly anything standard left on the car anyway I guess!

j_turnell

Managed to get a few more bits done in the spare few minutes of daylight I've had this week. Intercooler is now mounted, managed to get hold of some bobbins. Got all the boost pipes finalised and fitted, seems to work out pretty well. Oil tank mounted out of the way, and also the map sensor and plumbed into a vacuum line off the inlet.

Jobs for the weekend will be mounting the shortened rad and oil cooler for the charger. May get around to plumbing in the cooling system with a bit of luck, Not a whole lot left after that!

photo%207_zpsy5lcgg1w.jpg?t=1479400145

Anthony

Looking good! At this rate it'll be ready in perfect time to stand absolutely no chance of putting all that extra power down (at least until spring comes around) :lol:

• Like 1

allye

Did you strengthen your slam panel at all?

j_turnell

Looking good! At this rate it'll be ready in perfect time to stand absolutely no chance of putting all that extra power down (at least until spring comes around) :lol:

Haha your probably right. Hopefully the winter won't be to bad! Sticky tyres and the quaife will help though.

Did you strengthen your slam panel at all?

I haven't done anything to the slam panel, nothing is mounted off of it so don't see the need really.

welshpug

unless you have bonnet pins you will need to do something, or the panel will just bend when you try and latch the bonnet.

j_turnell

Hmm I hadn't thought about the bonnet closing - Good point. I don't really want to cut the auto bonnet although aero catches look Ok. I will bolt down the slam panel and close the bonnet and see what the deal is. With the rad going in front, I should be able to run some flat bar off the back of the slam panel down and tie into the stock front panel if necessary.