• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Robbiedundy

Heater Plugs Stdt

Robbiedundy

Hello, I had my STDT off the road for a couple weeks getting it ready for the MOT and ever since the heater plugs havent been working properly. I took the relay out cleaned all the contacts put it back in and fired a new battery in (thought old one wasn't working properly but no sure now) and the plugs started working fine and the light came on. Left the car over night and it started playing up again, cleaned up the gearbox and battery earth's and the plugs only work if you turn the ignition on then hold the key a little bit further (without trying to start the engine).. now they won't come on at all unless I put jump leads from the battery straight onto the heater plug. (Is this safe? ????)

How do I know if the relay is working or could the heater plugs be faulty?

pug_ham

I'd suspect the glow plug relay first.

Heater plugs can be tested with a single wire direct from the battery, touch the end of the plug & if you get a spark then you've a good plug.

Always worked for me.

g

Robbiedundy

Alright cheers, I will investigate tomorrow! ????

Ozymandis

STDT`s glow plug modules are very exposed to road muck, my experience of them is, wiring and connector problems due to corrosion.

I would have another go at the terminals, before buying a new module.

The harness wires "wick" water up and go black for an inch or two.

Sometimes replacing the plug and splicing a new bit of wire in is needed. V similar to the starter motor wiring problem that a lot of GTI`s have.

Non turbo diesels are better in this respect as the modules are in a more sheltered place.

Water also gets in the module and causes corrosion problems, some brands have steel elements in the circuit , whereas others use brass or copper.

Ozymandis

I just re-read you question, having to hold the key past the ignition position but not quite to the start position sounds like the ignition switch is buggered.

As to, is it safe to "jump" the glow plugs, you shouldn't really as the plugs are only rated 11 Volts not full battery voltage, you will shorten the plugs lives.

Robbiedundy

Sorry forgot to say thanks for the help ????