• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sparx10james

Spark Gets Weak While Cranking

sparx10james

Hi.. so I've a 2.0 turbo from a xantia fitted in my 205. As I crank the engine the spark becomes very weak and it won't start. Starts very easy with a tow or push. Could the starter be drawing current from the coil pack perhaps? Any thoughts would be great thanks

wicked

Try a different battery, it might not give enough juice to rev fast enough.

jackherer

I have had similar sounding issues with starters affecting engine management particularly with XU10 starters. It wasn't excessive current draw, I think it was generating electrical noise which was interfering with the crank position sensor pulse to the ECU.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=123111

sparx10james

I have had similar sounding issues with starters affecting engine management particularly with XU10 starters. It wasn't excessive current draw, I think it was generating electrical noise which was interfering with the crank position sensor pulse to the ECU.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=123111

Now that you say it...it's been hard to start with awhile and I presumed it was making the plugs wet due to the bad spark...but I killed a starter about a year ago and when I replaced it at started first tip of the key.I replaced it with a 2nd hand one from a breakers yard. How would I fix it so it won't happen again.

jackherer

All you can realistically do is try another starter, it's not a common problem so you're unlikely to get another one with the same issue. I've seen it two or maybe three times in nearly twenty years and hundreds of 205s.