• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

superspanner

1.9 8V Early Model Converted To The Later Timing Set Up

superspanner

Has and 1 converted from the earlier model with the metal timing cover and spring tensioner with 113 tooth belt to the later model set up with the 114 tooth belt with the different tensioner and the plastic timing covers and if so any pictures cheers

Tom Fenton

Not really sure why you would want to, the eccentric tensioner of the later set up is far more awkward to set and lock in the engine bay than the spring loaded sliding type.

The plastic top cover can be fitted to either setup.

superspanner

Had been told the covers won't fit there for have gone and ordered everything to make the change as the company I have been buying the majority of parts from have said that the do this ((upgrade)) to all early engines that they get in to build ?

j_turnell

That sounds very dubious. There is nothing wrong with the spring loaded tensioner in fact the majority run this! As said the covers can be used on either and I certainly wouldn't say the later setup is an upgrade.

Anthony

As said the covers can be used on either and I certainly wouldn't say the later setup is an upgrade.

The top cam pulley cover can be, but both the lower covers are different.

I agree with the other comments though - the 113 tooth setup works fine and tensioning is a doddle. Given that parts are still easily obtained (although undamaged belt covers are becoming more problematic), I'm not sure why you'd swap.

j_turnell

Apologies Anthony I should have been more clear Top covers only as Tom mentioned.

superspanner

Muchly appreciated with the response some have already taken it up with the supplier and are willing to take parts back if not needed