• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Liquid_106

Car Battery Charger

Liquid_106

After another flat battery, though it about time to buy my own charger rather than borrow the other halfs dads Davenset Mk4 (ancient!). Have found the following but has anybody had any experience of them good / bad or any other ecommendations? Needs to be able to charge 1.1 106, 2.0 Diesel freelander & 1.6 GTi - think the amps rating is how long it takes to charge the battery so 40amp battery would take 10 hours to charge with 4amp charger, correct?

Don't really want to spend more than £40ish - I have the following so far:

Clarke CC60 - 4.0 amps >= 1600cc - Might be a little small for the freelander with 77 amp battery

Clarke CC80 - 6.0 amps <= 2000cc

Halfrauds Auto Charger - 1.5 / 7.5 amps (might get it cheaper with Tradecard?)

Cheers B)

(Did search, but don't think a Lynx charger would charge a battery :P )

Dizzee stuff

Why is your battery going flat all the time?? Lack of use or could it be faulty battery or electrical fault.

Any charger will work, just with the lower out put it will take a little longer to charge if the battery is very flat.

I hardly use my car so I have a solar charger connected all the time while not in use.

Masekwm

I have the Halfords one, got to get it out tonight as I also have a dead battery.

Does your solar charger work? I hardly ever use my car so it is annoying to find the battery flat.

Liquid_106

Why is your battery going flat all the time?? Lack of use or could it be faulty battery or electrical fault.

Any charger will work, just with the lower out put it will take a little longer to charge if the battery is very flat.

I hardly use my car so I have a solar charger connected all the time while not in use.

I only have a short journey to work, crawling in traffic so it gets hammered in the winter with having the lights, blower & heated screen on. :( Sould really take it for a long run, but I think electricity is cheaper than petrol :D

jorg

I am using a Ctek CTE-XS3600 (3.8amp) on the 306 and have never had a problem.

Dizzee stuff

I only have a short journey to work, crawling in traffic so it gets hammered in the winter with having the lights, blower & heated screen on. :( Sould really take it for a long run, but I think electricity is cheaper than petrol :D

If you have a multimeter it would be worth doing a charging check an having the battery tested. some places will do it for free, dont forget to check the alternator belt is tight enough.

feb

I've got a CTEK MXS 3.6 which charges a battery and then keeps it topped up by trickle charging it, 48 euros delivered on offer from amazon.

Only used it a few times but it seems like a quality product.

Edited by feb

marksorrento205

If you have a multimeter it would be worth doing a charging check an having the battery tested. some places will do it for free, dont forget to check the alternator belt is tight enough.

Also check to see if you have a drain somewhere when everything is switched off. I had it on my rallye and it was the boot light staying on. As for you original question, I have the halfords one and have had it years. Its never let me down yet - que it not working next time I go to use it :lol:

omega

if i was you i would get something like a battery mate charger.this is one you can leave plugged in all the time and dosnt over charge the battery.also if you have a live cigrate socket[eg live with ignition off] you can plug it straight in to charge the car.

Richie

I've got the halfords one and i can't fault it - does the job.

welshpug

if the car is to be laid up get a dis-carnect thingy, its a quick way to disconnect the main power but has a small resistor providing power for the alarm, any excess drain and this resistor will pop.

if your journeys are that short on yer bike :lol: it should still charge fine even with everything turned on.

Liquid_106

Sorry for the delayed reply, just got back from watching the new Mission Impossible film - 'meh' is my candid review!

Yep, good idea - I'll check with a MM tomorrow, if the battery works after an over night charge. I think its just the lack of the battery getting enough recharge after each days use and eventually running out of puff, but good to check all possibilities.

Also check to see if you have a drain somewhere when everything is switched off. I had it on my rallye and it was the boot light staying on.

Mine had the same from new, kept setting the alarm off, mostly late at night and very early in the morning :angry: Peugeot dealers answer was to stick a foam pad on the boot to try and press the plunger switch down a little more - didn't work so I just unplugged the light :lol:

if the car is to be laid up get a dis-carnect thingy, its a quick way to disconnect the main power but has a small resistor providing power for the alarm, any excess drain and this resistor will pop.

if your journeys are that short on yer bike :lol: it should still charge fine even with everything turned on.

It's my daily so shouldn't need any capacitor thingies :rolleyes:. No showers etc at work so don't fancy riding in my suit, especially in this weather ;) (and still don't have a bike)

Thanks for all the replies, looked at the CTEK stuff and looks good, but a little over what I wanted to pay. As a few of you have experience of the Halfords one and have had no problems with it, think I'll go for that one - and hopefully get it a little cheaper.

Thanks all for the replies +1 rep for you all B)

Liquid_106

Started! Now to check the battery / alternator voltage tonight and pop into Halfords to pick up the charger :)

Edited by Liquid_106

Liquid_106

The Hippo wouldn't start this morning - another flat battery :lol:

Simes

Another one for Ctek CTE-XS3600 - going cheap on Amazon.

I've even got the extra leads so it can plug into my Vespa or car in matter of seconds without my hands getting dirty.

Actually it's plugged into the car almost permanently.

EDIT: The best thing though really is that you don't need to disconnect your battery to charge, unlike the massive Halfords charger I have too ;)

Edited by Simes

marksorrento205

EDIT: The best thing though really is that you don't need to disconnect your battery to charge, unlike the massive Halfords charger I have too ;)

I have never had to disconnect a battery to charge it with the Halfords one??

yorkshirekowboy

Back from the dead I know but with a solar charger, the type I have has crocodile clips on. Doe people disconnect the positive lead from the battery then connect the solar charger or is it best just to leave the positive lead connected? I always think this could be a no no, but because I hardly use the car and I'm wanting to install a tracker so definitely the battery would get a hammering

hoodygoodwood

I have a couple of Maplins solar panel chargers , one I have connected with croc clips direct to the battery and the other on a different car with a longer cable I just plug into the cigar lighter . Both work well and definitely keep the battery topped up , keep the glass face of the unit clean of dust to get the most out of it .