• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

forbeslongden

What's The Highest Speed You've Had From Your 205?

tomcolinjones

iirc, not pushing the drive shaft seals all the way into the casing.

welshpug

no :lol:

fitting a 205 diff.

Tom Fenton

& swap gear selector lever and usually convert clutch arm to push type.

Mikey S

A GPS verified 125mph. Mi16 on a 1.9 box. Got scared and backed off.....

My Saab will pull far past that without breaking a sweat.....

huxley309

Didn't dare to look, speedo cracked 145 after that i refused to look at the thing as the car was a bit twitchy.

jrj

just browsing so thought I'd reply!... 127mph on the M4 over a decade ago - totally standard '93 1.9 - It gets a bit sketchy from about 95-105 and then it just hunkered down and begged for more... even got a bit quieter 120+ - You couldn't pay me enough to do that in it now on a p road! without a cage and a helmet!

Leon

I've found that 205 speedos are by and large normally pretty accurate providing that you're using the correct speedo drive gears.

I think all of mine have been within 1-2mph at 70mph when compared against a GPS.

My experience is the same.

My C plate phase 1 1.6 would do something like 125 indicated. Interestingly at 115 it always felt like it literally had bags still in the tank

My F plate 1.6 was slower and would run out of steam at 110 and crawl to about 115 indicated

My F plate 1.6 that I got from steve@cornwall sits in the middle. It's significantly more spritely in the mid range than my old F plate but doesn't quite have the 70+ pull that the C plate had. Will do 120 indicated

My 309 GTI would run off the clock all day. That was a damn quick standard-ish car (Magnex manifold and exhaust)

Edited by Leon

AlexRS2782

A few years ago I tried pushed mine just past 100 - I decided to stop pretty quickly after realising the noise & drone from the OMP exhaust was getting a bit deafening inside the car so decided to drop back to 75 and save my hearing :lol:

allye

The gearbox I've put together for my van will take it up to low 160's on my 14' wheels (can't remember tyre size but I worked it out) the ~250bhp should take it to the limiter happily. Not sure if I will be happy to though!

jeremy

Hmm 954cc Junior back in the early 90s saw 110mph on a very down hill section of road, couldn't possibly say where sounds like douth bound n25 junction hive.

• Like 1