• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan77

Fresh Garage Floor

Alan77

Did this the other week when the weather was nice. Turfed out the garage and put down the bright red epoxy floor paint. Took a couple of days, first with the sealant coat and then the red top coat with a roller. Organised the rest of the garage kit and put it all back. I'm well chuffed with the outcome...

post-14615-0-82247900-1431122590_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Rock Lobster

Looks good mate, I want to do mine this year when the new roof goes on, which paint and sealant did you use?

Alan77

I got mine from TA Paints, but Regal Floor Paint also do plenty of colours. 2 x 5L tins (1 x clear epoxy sealer and 1 x 2pack signal red top coat) was £70.

Simes

Looks good.

I did mine in a subtle grey.

Unfortunately the stands on my bikes have chipped it off so another job on the list.

Bought the paint (1coat) off ebay, £30, out of date by a year but no issues.

Rock Lobster

Cheers, I'll be going for grey too, do you have to prep the surface? I have seen guys using a polishing tool prior to painting but looks a bit over kill.

Simes

Swept then hoovered mine.

Rock Lobster

the neighbours probably thought you'd lost it when they saw you hoovering the garage floor!

Alan77

Yep, hoover the floor to get rid of as much loose dust as possible.

Tom Fenton

If it's bare concrete then you must seal it first, otherwise the paint will not adhere and will come off in big flakes. Easily done, mix PVA glue 50/50 with water in a bucket, you can then just sweep it out over the floor with a broom. PVA very cheap from any DIY store.

nveeate

I did mine a few years ago, but found that wet car tyres lifted the paint. I wondered about going down the rubber matting route instead, but never got round to it!

feb

That's a good price for epoxy resin.

I did ours in light grey 10 years ago and it's lasted well, has only flaked in a couple of places, one of which was where a rear tyre of the 205 used to rest.

And yes, when the neighbours saw me attacking the garage floor and painting the garage walls first thing before even moving in thought I 've lost it. Priorities first!

Edited by feb

cti_jim

If you weld then green would be the best colour as it reflect the least amount of light, that's what I was told when I was doing work at my local college

nveeate

I went for grey, and painted the bottom bit of the wall as an upstand, which looks quite neat.

Gratuitous photo of the reason the 205 doesn't get in the garage!

post-23607-0-09434400-1431255473_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Rock Lobster

No one likes a show off ;)

The grey with the upstanding is the way I will go, with the white walls it all looks very neat and tidy. That is parked scary close to that wall! I'd be tempted to put a foam bump strip on the wall where you get out though, just in case!?

nveeate

No one likes a show off ;)

The grey with the upstanding is the way I will go, with the white walls it all looks very neat and tidy. That is parked scary close to that wall! I'd be tempted to put a foam bump strip on the wall where you get out though, just in case!?

Haha, fair point! I think it's the first photo in two years on the forum to be fair. Yeah, it's quite close to the wall - I've managed 4 years, but you're right I should probably put something on the wall - as my parking luck will run out one day. :)

The upstand is probably easier to get a neat line on than the floor-wall point. It made a big difference when I painted the walls white too....use external masonry paint rather than standard emulsion, as it's less likely to yellow if the walls are cold/damp.

Edited by nveeate

Rock Lobster

You did well then, I wouldn't have been able to resist for that long mate!

mowflow

Before i started work on my 205 I was going to do my floor. I did the walls so it was less of a black hole to work in. About half way through the project now and i'm actually glad i didn't do the floor as it would have been wrecked by now. There has been break fluid, engine oil, gearbox oil, grease, blood, sweat, tears spilled on it along with a small tin of 2k harder I kicked over and 24 years worth of rust and grime that was removed from the car.

Nveeate. Your user name makes a little more sense all of a sudden. Your parking is however, making me feel anxious.

Tom Fenton

Before i started work on my 205 I was going to do my floor. I did the walls so it was less of a black hole to work in. About half way through the project now and i'm actually glad i didn't do the floor as it would have been wrecked by now. There has been break fluid, engine oil, gearbox oil, grease, blood, sweat, tears spilled on it along with a small tin of 2k harder I kicked over and 24 years worth of rust and grime that was removed from the car.

If you use good floor paint its very durable. My garage floor is getting ready for doing again now, but its been down 8 years, and I have completed many hours of projects in there. Once painted it allows you to wipe up any spills, brake fluid is the only one that really causes problems.

nveeate

Nveeate. Your user name makes a little more sense all of a sudden. Your parking is however, making me feel anxious.

Ha: my initial plus v8! I get as much enjoyment from a 205 GTI tbf...

Pugleyrich

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I'm about to move to a new house with a nice double garage for the 205s. I'm keen to put down a grey epoxy floor paint before moving the cars in but I want to ensure I do it right. The current floor in the garage is unpainted concrete.

I understand I'll need to hoover the dust off first and seal it with a PVA mix as highlighted by Tom above. Once that's done, how long does it need to be left?

Can anyone recommend a good product to use? Some shops seem to sell paints that don't require a clear top coat, but I'd rather put one down if it'll make the floor more durable.

I'm keen to speak to anyone who has done a good job on theirs and who can point me to a good product to use.

Many thanks

GLPoomobile

Not speaking from experience but just what I see as common sense, I'd recommend hosing the floor down and sweeping out the water first, then hoover when dry. I think you'll get rid of more dust and small stuff by wetting it down first.

dcc

Ova goes tacky after 15-20minutes when I did some for plastering, the plasterer wanted a fresh coat and wasnt happy using pva which was done the day before.

Personally id pva and then apply the resin when the pva starts to go tacky. But always worth calling the resin/paint manufacturer for their input

Pugleyrich

Thanks for the replies. I have contacted a paint supplier on eBay who sell a resin which requires thinning for an undercoat and then a non-thinned top coat (with no clear coat). Apparently no other prep required.

I'm interested in recommendations for a product if anyone can give one, before I spend £60 on paint.

Alan77

I got my sealant and 2pack paint from TA Paints Ltd online.

Pugleyrich

Thanks Alan. How has it lasted? Was the sealant the equivalent to a PVA water mix?