• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Plusgas In A Tin

GLPoomobile

I've been using Plusgas in aerosol form for years after someone on here converted me to it, and I find it pretty good. I just noticed you can also get it in a tin. Just wondered if anyone on here has used the tinned stuff and if it's basically just the same (just as good) or less effective etc. I guess where the spray has the advantage of getting to those tricky to reach areas, the tinned version can be dripped on more sparingly in easier areas so if nothing else the advantage maybe that it lasts longer as you can use less.

jackherer

I've not seen Plusgas in a tin but you've reminded me of something I heard recently, apparently you can make penetrating fluid that is as good as the best commercial ones by mixing acetone and ATF/power steering fluid. I've got both here but I haven't remembered to try it yet.

GLPoomobile

Well if you get through a lot of it and you have the ingredients, sounds like a plan!

I'm going to buy some tinned Plusgas as well as the usual spray can as I'm pretty much out and have some crusty Volvo hub/strut bolts to tackle soon. The tinned one is only about £4. Just thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone had used it, and if it was total crap I wouldn't waste my time.

Edited by GLPoomobile

toolie72

Suppose if you put it in a sqoosher?? Spray thingmebob-you know what I mean

It would get into the awkward spaces and it would truly be the penetrating fluid rather than the propellant

Used to get duck oil and wd in gallon containers but I used to fill a bucket and lob stuff into it (then filter it back into tin)-not that I'm tight like

GLPoomobile

Well on the subject of being tight, I noticed earlier that a chemical company will sell containers of brake/clutch cleaner for less than £2 a litre. I don't get through enough of the stuff to warrant buying any but it's interesting when you come across these little money saving opportunities.

Biggles

I've got tinned Plusgas. Handy for soaking smaller stuff or soaking a cloth in and wrapping round something so it gets a good soaking without running off. Use the spray more but better for the really stubborn things that you leave for a day or two.

jackherer

I found the thing I was reading about acetone/ATF mix, there was a test done with different fluids and it needed half the torque to undo a bolt compared to the best of the others.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182271

Recently “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils. Using nuts and
bolts that they ‘scientifically rusted’ to a uniform degree by soaking in salt water, they then
tested the break-out torque required to loosen the nuts. They treated the nuts with a variety
of penetrants and measured the torque required to loosen them.
This is what they came up with:
Nothing: 516 lbs
WD-40: 238 lbs;
PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
(ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

This last “shop brew” of 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone appears to beat
out the commercially prepared products costing far more.

• Like 1

GLPoomobile

Wow! Interesting stuff. I'm interested in trying that now!

toolie72

No smoking!!!!

When I was a toolmaker we used acetone to clean mould tools-some effing idiot poured some on his bench and flicked a lighter-very hard to see the flame (even harder to put out before getting in the s*it from boss, whoops)

GLPoomobile

So, Plusgas in a tin, is it much a different user experience than the spray can? No, not really. It's more viscous than I'd expected so once you dribble it on it doesn't hang around. It's probably better for those times you need a little more control getting in to specific places, but I've never felt I needed that when using the spray can (I just douse the whole area!).

Edited by GLPoomobile

Leslie green

Acetone is nasty stuff you don't want to be getting that in your eye or breathing the fumes either.

allye

Acetone is nasty stuff you don't want to be getting that in your eye or breathing the fumes either.

Yer but it is really bloody good!