• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

dobboy

Vw T5 Campervans

dobboy

Does anyone know why there is such a variation in the prices of the above?

I've seen a few for sale recently like this,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222428071199

But also others, older, and twice the price.

Has anyone ever had one?

allye

My main question is why are you looking for a piece of poo transporter?

welshpug

that seems a bit cheap really, especially with fairly low miles for a van, though i dont keep up with their values.

as a converted van they wont cost as much as a factory camper, the californias are a lot of money

Mikey S

I wouldn't touch a t5, far too unreliable. T4's are a much better van. I've seen a lot of Renault Trafics/Vauxhall Vivaro's being converted

into day vans and campers now as VW prices are out of reach of most ordinary people.

dobboy

My main question is why are you looking for a piece of poo transporter?

I thought they were supposed to be good vans,

I'm just browsing options to tow my trailer and see for a little bit more than a T5 van I could get a camper.

that seems a bit cheap really, especially with fairly low miles for a van, though i dont keep up with their values.

as a converted van they wont cost as much as a factory camper, the californias are a lot of money

There's another with 80k for less.

Miles

The VAG reliability thing is a huge mith, I didn't realise how bad until we had a mechanic move in behind me, Camshaft wear is a huge thing on those, but with all modern stuff the service intervals are too long but that's for Fleet customers

• Like 1

allye

I'd have a Vito over a transporter every day of the week. I'd actually have a SWB low top sprinter if I was to get a van, no messing about with people carrier sized vans.

Have you ever sat in the front of a transporter? Absolute joke. They are hideously unreliable, you pay silly vag tax prices. I could go on, can you tell I don't like them?

dobboy

I haven't yey Allye, but they can't be any worse than the passengers seat of a Vivaro or Transit.

Yeah I can tell you don't like them!????

allye

If you're dead set on one I'd convert the front bench to a single seat, unless children it's not a 3 seater.

The merc gets better engines if say.

welshpug

I'd rather a vw LT or an early crafter over a merc, the sprinter engines aren't their best attempts, Sprinter also rusts for fun ( as do the older Vitos)

• Like 1

welshpug

they're not, it'll be a scam.

dobboy

I think you're right WP.

I messaged one of them earlier, and just recieved a message from eBay saying they thought the sellers account had been accessed by someone.

However, there was one for sale local to me for similar money/spec a few weeks ago, and I recognised a building in the background, so the van actually was local.

welshpug

most likely details pulled from a similar advert, came across the same thing years ago looking for a T4 for my sister.

• Like 1

allye

The older sprinter 5 cylinders were cracking engines, never models are a bit pinned back but my mum has run a few of them to over 200k quite happily.

It's odd with the rot, some seem to suffer badly but others seem fine, in still on the look out for a SWB low top old shape 313, can get upgraded tow kit for them to tow something silly like 4 tonnes.

Bit of a tangent there sorry. Those prices can't be right, you pay that for a ropey T4 camper!

dobboy

So, how do they work the scam?

Do they try get a deposit or more out you and then never be seen again?

toolie72

One of the boys at work does homers at weekends so was looking for his own van for doing them

He found a "genuine" seller on eBay,everything seemed sound

They say they'll deliver anywhere in the uk-you just have to pay a very hefty deposit

Alan said ok I'll go for it but I want to see van first-then it moved from it being in London, to Ireland etc so he couldn't pin them down to see it, they just gave him the runaround

He got in touch with eBay as it didn't feel right to be told there was possibly an issue with the sellers account

Make of it what you will

• Like 1

yeti-dj

I've got a lwb T5 and its a great thing to have, it's had a few problems but it's a car and they all have problems one way or another.

The T5's are suffering just now from "scene" tax which has hiked the prices up, if you find a nice cheap van on EBay etc it's probably a scam.

They hold their value well, heaps of stuff you can do to them and are a great thing to own.

Camshaft wear was bad on the early t5 2.5 engines due to requiring daft engine oil.

the van always gets compliments where ever you go.

Only bad thing is they can be a money pit if you love changing things, always something that can be made better, haha..

• Like 1

Gaz205

I work with someone that has spend I think 23k on a 2.0 4motion one. It has xenons and rear seats and some gadgets but he has prob spent a further 5k on wheels and suspension work and some very good carpet type lining inside and window tints. It looks 'smart'

I just couldn't ever imagine handing over the best part of 30k and only end up with a van with rear seats.

I think it's either in you or not to love these things, I personally don't see it but the owner would die for his T5. As a life long vehicle which these things seem to be it's a bargain as you'll never suffer at the hands of trade in or finance again, but still.... 30 grand!!! Wow!

woodymi16

It's potentially the same with any vehicle you buy, my T5 2.5 Tdi SWB has to date been fine. My two year old Q5 3.0 Tdi already needs a new headlight at £800 from Audi.

post-17804-0-50358900-1489417407_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

dobboy

That is nice woody.

How are they for a night away? Cold? Cramped?

Any idea of its weight fully fitted out?