• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

McDude

Seen A 205 - Looks Interesting (But Not Cheap!)

McDude

First up - apologies if I'm breaking the rules by asking about a 205 I've seen up for sale. I know we aren't supposed to put eBay links up here, so I won't. (I'm sure the excellent Mods will take this down if I've been naughty)

Those who don't know me/don't remember me, this would be my third 205 - I stupidly sold a Skip Brown 1.9S ~4 years ago and have regretted it ever since. I've been looking for a long time to buy another one but with prices the way they are nothing has floated my boat.

There is a J-Plate Miami up on fleabay, the chap does want strong money for it and no mistake but I'm starting to think this is what you need to cough up if you want a 205!!! The engine was rebuilt by Brett Sims (thumbs up there) and the suspension looks to have had a proper overhaul with rebuilt beam, mounts etc. and yellow Bilsteins. It has been poly-bushed but I'll overlook that!

Exterior/Interior maybe a bit scruffy for the money, but nothing a good scrub won't fix - assuming no tin worm.

Without putting up the link (which doesn't help) does anyone know the car? History etc. Anyone been to see it and seen red flags? I've not been to see it yet, but I'm thinking of doing so!

Thanks,

McDude

speno

Just go and look at it and make your own mind up

dcc

Don't know the price, but brett sims considers himself and engine builder. Personally I'd never use him, but i know of 2 engines hes touched, both encountered various issues.

The rest of the car is a lottery, check ball joints, rear axle, rust, impact, paint fade, lacquer peel, trim secure.

Anything over £1k i'd go through with a fine tooth comb.

barneys66

That does look like strong money for something in need of tidying, and that bonnet alignment needs a look.

MoT history doesn't show up anything untoward, other than a 7-year off-the-road stint.

I'm always wary of flimsy ads for cars demanding top money..

AlexRS2782

It's this one I think - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GTI-1-9-/182494361884

Certainly strong money at £10k for what it is.

Edit - personally, this one seems a much better / decent one and looks like it's had more time & £££ invested in it than the blue one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugeot-205-1-9-gti-/272589619675

Edited by AlexRS2782

toolie72

Just daft-don't get me wrong-I love my car, I've had it 21years,I'm never selling it

But come on £10K??

I consider myself to be 205 biased (see above lol) but there's no way you can ask that money for a road going one

Does it come with free dashboard rattles for that?

Gaz205

I think you are paying for their overheads basically.... You'll never truly know what's been repaired/restored unless you've done it yourself.

If you want a finished example then go for it but 10k does seem a little steep

Leslie green

Way over priced for a car that isn't mint ,engine rebuild sounds like a basic freshen up.. rings /bearings and a cambelt . For 10k Id expect it to be freshly resprayed or have 5k of used notes in the boot into the deal ! No shortage of cars out there in nice condition .

Edited by Leslie green

Miles

Very strong money for a car that needs a total respray from the pic's maybe more.

A engine is a engine in basic form, A customer of mine got quoted over 10k for a 8v engine from Brett mind it was a race engine, he does Mini's very well but never really known of anything else he does

205Rallee

I had my TU 24 Rallye head rebuilt by Brett when he was at Longman, We thought it was borderline scrap after a well known northern "tuner" had "modified" it with a Dremel and what looked like the roughest file known to man, not forgetting they had fitted a "special French cam" (aka a standard cam). The head came back looking like a work of art and it has done maybe 20k miles and many speed events since. From the quality of the work he did I would definitely send the engine there if/ when it needs a rebuild.

barneys66

That's just the starting bid - Buy it Now is still 9k.

Just seen that he's previously had it advertised for 13k too..

toolie72

Well at least my neighbours in my posh area might believe my car is a "classic"

And not just the car I've never sold

Mind you they'll still hate the white van #bringtheareadown

Type-R

That's just the starting bid - Buy it Now is still 9k.

Just seen that he's previously had it advertised for 13k too..

Yeah I noticed it said "reserve not met" right after I posted that. Can't believe how ambitious/deluded he is.

It seems okay from the pics but not many people pay slightly over full whack for an unfinished project.

oak tree garage

people should see the car before picking it to pieces

Gaz205

people should see the car before picking it to pieces

????

• Like 1

McDude

Buy it now is currently at £7995. I don't actually think that is a million miles out, don't get me wrong, that's still steep but consider that £5k buys you an entirely serviceable car but not much more these days (unless someone can point me to the field of £1k 205s). But as we all know, sooner or later a rear beam is in order, brakes, oil seals etc. In this case this has all been done; is the additional £3k worth that, who can say? It needs a bit of tidying up on the inside and a bit of a polish, but I don't think it is silly money.

I'm undecided about buying (hell, I've not even been to look at it) but the days of super cheap 205s are gone and I'd have thought that members of this forum would be delighted. I agree the original price being asked was high, but it has settled to a 'reasonable' amount and you can't knock the guy for trying to get more for it.

My original post was to ascertain if anyone knew the vehicle or had been to see it. No worries if not.

Gaz205

just check they aren't a trader

Edited by Gaz205

toolie72

Hmmm might be a situation for a genuine nonbiased valuation

We're all biased.

Personally I don't feel a "road" car ie not immaculate or show standard can be worth circa £10K

BUT perversely if somebody offered me £10K for my car-I wouldn't accept it. My cars an old friend and as such we fall out once in a while,it'll never be 100% done but it's still going-bit like me, probably why I won't part with it (Freudian moment!!)

I think part of it might be people not wanting to look back in fifteen years and regret not getting full whack-just look at the values of mk1/2s now, fifteen years ago the scrappies charged you to take them off your hands

dcc

At the end of the day its a 205. The attraction for me was a cheap car, bit of a hothatch icon, cheap parts and easy to fix.

They are no longer a cheap thing to own. More expensive parts, thin on the ground, easy for thieves. Now people get the illusion they are worth money, in reality its a crap car. The misses £1000 golf is 10x the car.

Are these expensive rusty piles of crap really selling for that money though?

I'd hate to be looking to buy one now, glad ive got my tatty banger racer. Id be too afraid to pay 10k on it and then use it! People hoarding 2nd hand parts (guilty), rally boys writing shells off for fun and new parts being bought up in the masses. When it gets too expensive to fix or run, it will be parked up in the garden and probably forgotten about. Im in a similar situation with my defender - only paid about 2k for it, its probably not far off 6k worth now. Its a pile of s*it compared to other cars in that range!

A big thank you to those people panic buying.

Tom Fenton

The market for 205's has changed massively in the last few years. I still think there's room for a range of folk to enjoy the cars at different levels.

jackherer

I think that is a very good point and it is interesting to note the increase in GTI replicas that have been popping up recently which backs that sentiment up.

Leslie green

The benefits and downfalls of reaching classic status , it was a great car in its day and that's how it will be seen in the classic world from now on , its went through the banger phase and many cars are still being broken but those that are left will mostly be restored as time goes on and the cars will pass onto owners who had one or couldn't have one in their youth and are now getting on a bit and have more oney .People from now on will not buy a 205 gti because it's good or cheap to use as a daily there are far cheaper more modern safer cars out there for a fraction of the money.

I bought my laser green one recently as a project ( I always wanted a green one but they are scarce especially over here) before they become too expensive to buy and before all the parts run out like what as happened in the classic ford scene where you have to pay top dollar for anything nos and nobody makes anything as there are so few cars left ( I have a few mk1 xr2's ) getting bits for these is silly expensive now !!! At least you can still buy a crap copy wing for a 205 (yet) .

Edited by Leslie green

toolie72

Sold my mk1 xr2 with a years mot for £560!!!!

Mind you back then insurance was £1030 third party only

How I afforded it as an apprentice I don't know

#itwasalldifferentinmyday!!

Leslie green

He's come to his senses it's only 4k now lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182510665042

Only bid to 4k this time (reserve not met so not sold yet) .