• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dobboy

Trailer Towing Capacity?

dobboy

I'm selling off my trailer,

It's a home made job by previous owner therefore has no plates on it. It's braked and twin axle. The previous owner said 2000kg, but I'm wondering how he determined this.

A potential buyer has asked how much it can tow, how could I determine this for myself?

Thanks

welshpug

what axles does it have? that is the typical governing factor, as well as frame design.

dobboy

It has two axles, and takes VX wheels, that's all I know really.

dobboy

It looks like 40mm box section, and the bit at the front that you hook on has "Max Trailer Weight Ga 1100kg" stamped on it.

welshpug

you really need to know what weight axles were used, but apart from that the hitch isn't rated for more than 1100 so I certainly would not put 2000kg on it

Leslie green

The combined load rating of the 4 tyres could be limiting factor too on a trailer if the hitch had a higher capacity ,a lot of trailers use 13 inch standard car tyres where the load rating is very low instead of proper trailer tyres.

The 1100kg will be a gross weight you have to subtract the weight of the trailer from that to give you the load capacity so that might leave you with only say a 600kg load capacity.

Edited by Leslie green

dobboy

Cheers. Sold it last night. The guy was wanting it to tow a Puma and said it would be suitable ????