Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

It's A Bit Bouncy....

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

luggy

luggy
  • Drivers
  • 548 posts
  • Name:Hywel
Is there any service history with the car?, or do you know the guy you bought it off just to see if any work has been done to the rear beam, if there has it would seem that they set the rear ride height quite high, if not then its probably seized.

scumbag

scumbag
  • Banned
  • 220 posts
I bought it from a garage, but before that I think it lived on a farm out modbury. Theres all manner of cows@~t on some of the hoses in the engine bay. The geezer in the garage took it in PX. I take it the rear beam a pain or big money to replace? Is it even worth it?

Too many things going wrong. I may just sell it in a couple months and get a different one. Really disappointed.

scumbag

scumbag
  • Banned
  • 220 posts
It would appear from previous posts I have been reading that rear beam is knackered. When doing 70 - 80 up a38 it gets a bit wiggly and corners arent as good as the should be. Little bumps in the road have caused the car to lose grip and catch at about 50 ish.

Damn thing. How easy is it to replace?

dommorton

dommorton
  • Drivers
  • 280 posts
Very easy to do a DIY swap and a good refurbished beam can be had from here for around 250

scumbag

scumbag
  • Banned
  • 220 posts
The 309 rear beam - is that just a straight swap onto a 205? And does it make a lot of difference to handling?

max0

max0
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
  • Name:Andy

The 309 rear beam - is that just a straight swap onto a 205? And does it make a lot of difference to handling?

try a search :) Yes its a straight swap depending on your back brake setup, eg hub or disk. changing from one to the other needs a little bit more work.

The 309 beam is a bit wider and has fatter torsion bars, possibly anti roll bar aswell.

Edited by max0, 31 December 2006 - 05:21 PM.

scumbag

scumbag
  • Banned
  • 220 posts
Ideal. I've got a 1.9 so should be a straight swap then as has disks. i'm a mechanical numpty in most respects so I think I'll have to be nice to my brother for a bit haha