Well...... Friday afternoon/evening didn't work out the way I had planned it.
The plan was to make a hole in the bulkhead for the new wiring loom connect the ecu to the switched live, permanent live and a good ground connection, upload a base map, check oil and water, and get it started, it all went well until the starting stage, everything was good but it just wouldn't start. So I abandoned it and went in the house for a few beers.
Saturday morning - after reading the DTA manual and learning about the diagnostic tests I could carry out off I went back into the garage with laptop in hand.
Crankshaft oscilloscope test was good, no issues other than the engine was cranking a little slow, but that was to be expected after a full rebuild.
The coil test was all good - 1&4 and 2&3 were firing in the correct order with good healthy blue sparks.
The injector test also proved to be successful, both dry and wet tests - plenty of fuel going in, so there shouldn't be any reason that the engine wouldn't start...... but still, it wouldn't start.
In a moment of desperation, I decided to check the coil pack again to check that the plugs were contacting the coil terminals - all good no problem...... or at least until mounting it onto the plugs on the head that was..... the contact springs on the coilpack weren't contacting the plugs. So I removed the rubber insulation boots and all the springs were compressed, so I stretched them all one by one refitted the rubber boots, fitted the plugs back in, put the coil back on and finally the engine started - What a feeling of total elation and accomplishment! Chuffed would be an understatement.
A few photos of the wiring work and process with a video of the first start;
Older type xs sensors fitted for instrumentation.
Chasis - engine wiring connectors
All good to go - still got to fit air sensor on the inlet system, hence its red on the display!
Video of the first start!