Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Xu9J2 Compression

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Thijs_Rallye

Thijs_Rallye
  • Drivers
  • 54 posts
  • Name:Thijs Vanlier
Garage View Garage

I've never turbo'ed a XU9, so I don't know and above that it is not my decision to take ;).

Newer engines run a CR of 10 and above with a turbocharger, but back in the old days they were more around 8 / 8,8 ish.

it's up to you, try reading a book like Maximum boost by Corky Bell.

mostormxu9

mostormxu9
  • Passengers
  • 15 posts
  • Name:mohammad

Nobody turbo'ed a xu9 here?

Xu10j2te turbocharger is suitable?

How much boost is safe for this CR?

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

I run 9.2:1 on my 2.2 16v T16 engine.

But I have a big turbo so don't get boost till 3000-3500rpm ish.

I have max boost of 1.4 bar this far at 6200rpm and haven't seen any knock tendencies yet.

However if you add a lot of boost low down in the rev-range I think it might be applicable to knock easier at lower revs.

But you can run a fair bit of boost at 9.2:1 indeed I'm sure you can add 1 bar quite easily with correct fuelling and ignition.

wicked

wicked
  • Drivers+
  • 610 posts
Garage View Garage

In the end it's about the dynamic compression; that is a function of static compression, valve timing, boost....  

The common way is to trade static compression for boost to keep the same dynamic compression. Modern engines also use the valve timing to keep higher static compression off-boost. 

One limit for your dynamic compression is that it will start to knock if you go too high. But that level will differ per engine. If you have a lot of back pressure from your manifold/turbo it will knock sooner that a high end manifold with big turbo.

The xu10j2te turbo is suitable and has been used before. It's not suited for really high boost/big bhp numbers but it is an easy conversion. 

I would just try it.

Note that the turbo technics conversion for the 1.9 had a compression of 1:8.6 so you're not so far off.. 

Edited by wicked, 28 August 2017 - 10:38 AM.

mostormxu9

mostormxu9
  • Passengers
  • 15 posts
  • Name:mohammad

Thanks my friends.

In fact I dont want to give the engine high boost.

The safe range and 24/7 using is more important for me than achieving bhp.(using it all days)

I think about 9 psi almost.

You said an important topic.

Can I use Mi1.9 fuel injector for this boost?(216cc at 3 bar) I can use 3,5 bar regulator also.

Also buying a xu10j2te turbo and exhaust manifold is easiest way for me.

If i can achieve 160 bhp is  ideal for me.