• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yanto

Genuine Peugeot Oil Filter Or Not?

yanto

Notice that my 1.9 gti has got an halfords oil filter on it-thought you could only us peugeot ones coz they got a return valve in them or something-is this true should i change the filter and what oil do you recommend? would it damage the engine if i didnt change it? Its done 143k

J

hengti

do you know if the Halfords filter has a return valve? don't know how important they are myself

i used GSF/ECP sourced Perflux filters (as Peugeot) and Duckhams Q 10/40 in mine, every 6k. the original engine managed well over 200k and was still reasonably healthy once i'd done with the car itself (although it had required two sets of stem seals and a HG in that mileage)

there's going to be an element of luck in keeping a high mileage engine going without major failures and, tbh, i'm not sure how critical specific oil choice is. seems wise to use OE filters if they're available as cheaply as they are from GSF/ECP but, again, not sure how critical that might be

mrswampy

The valve helps keep the top part of the engine lubricated up on start up

doesnt have to be a genuine pug filter, other makes have the valve in them

use a good quality 10w40 semi synth

Rom

As said, valve is to stop filter draining.

Wouldnt use one without a valve, i always get from dealer (Purflux) there only a few quid.

2-Pugs

I'd agree, use a genuine one for the cost of it. I'm sure some pattern ones are ok, or just as good. But you can't easily tell from the outside. Have to say though I often think the reason people like to see a genuine oil filter is becasue it is possibly the only obvious sign that someone has bothered to maintain the car properly, by making sure it has a genuine filter instead of any old cheap pattern part. Although granted, you can't tell how long it's been on there :)

Mikey S
I've always used FRAM filtsers without problems.

snap, fitted loads without probs.

cir287

I will only ever use a genuine oil filter (Purflux for 205) in any car. Had an experience years ago with a cheap spurious filter on a starlet, filter non return valve didnt hold, that meant that every time the engine was stopped all the oil drained back down to the sump and when it was started it took 3 to 5 seconds to build oil pressure. I binned it pretty quick and stuck a genuine on and it built oil pressure almost immediately.

quality spurious filters should be fine (no car manufacturer makes their own), I buy genuine mainly because I know it should be quality and its relative cheap peace of mind.

I also agree with the idea of it showing that some effort has gone into maintenance. If I saw a cheap filter on a car I was thinking of buying I wouldnt be impressed.

thats my puppence worth anyway, please feel free to disagree.

Edited by cir287

C_W

I think the FRAMM ones cost around £2+vat from a trade place, but as above I'm not sure if they have the valve but the oil pressure is normal on start up.

Alteran

A lot of people use genuine filters for their piece of mind and there isn't anything wrong with that. The aftermarket filters are put through the same stringent testing as the genuine ones. If there is supposed to be a non-return valve in the genuine filters and it is vital, then the aftermarket ones will surely have the same valve. If there was risk of engine damage then the aftermarket companies wouldn't produce them in my opinion. Due to risk of being sued into bankruptcy!!

I've span on hundreds of oil filters ranging from Fram, Mann, Unipart, Motoquip and genuine. Never had a single problem with any of them. So any filter would be ok to use. However i still use genuine filters on my car due to me being a funny bugger! Which sounds quite contradictive!

• Like 1

sp_en_ny

Hi Everyone,

Looking to do some work myself on my car starting with changing the oil and filter, anyone know of a good online shop where I can order a purflux oil filter from ? I have been searching the web now for days and cannot seem to find anyone anywhere. Not interested in a cheap alternative, would rather pay a few quid more and get an original part. Does anyone know the model number required too ? the Haynes manual recommends a Champion F104 ?

Oh I have a 205 1.9 cti 92 plate.

Thanks

Edited by sp_en_ny

dobboy

I got one from Peugeot.... and a petrol filter.

Not sure it was the one originally on the car but it had a peugeot logo on it.....it is blue coloured.

The petrol filter doesn't have the logo iirc, and may have been Arco or Delco or something like that.

welshpug

Neat autos stock o.e filters.

farmer

I have about 100 Pug filters if you want one?

Have fuel filters as well.

Ryan

I don't think I've ever see a filter without a non-return valve.

20 years ago it might have been something to look out for, but these days they all have one.

• Like 1

Miles

Just pop down to Peugeot, Normal filter for any Petrol 306, 406 to name a few, Dirt cheap too even at RRP

S@m

It is worth noting that current filters from Peugeot, numbers 1109AP or 1109AL are made my Mecafilter not Purflux. Whether that bothers anyone i don't know, i am unsure if Mecafilter are good or bad - not slagging them off here but i thought i'd mention it. Currently i am using old stock 1109T1 on the XU engined cars i deal with, which are Purflux.

farmer

Doesn't have the same ring as saying it's German old stock ^_^

Sign in to follow this