• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Slo

1.6 Cti Wont Idle Properly

Slo

Hi my 1.6 cti engine wont idle properly no matter what i try to do unless i turn the idle screw in then it obviously over revs. The supplementary air device seems to be working fine, pinching its feed pipe from the throttle body starves it at least and it is closing inside, when its at normal temperature its seems to idle sort of ok, its a lot more managable at least, but still cuts out after a bit of rough idling. This is really starting to annoy me to the point of slamming doors and wanting to kick the car to bits and thats the last thing i want to do since im trying to restore it. Apart from this it runs spot on its very rapid and very fast doesnt burn any oil although it does seems to smoke a bit when its cold. I can sort of make it better by altering the air screw in the throttle body but this always results in a lot higher idle speed when its warmed up. An oddity with the whole thing is im getting grey sludge in the top of the oil breather and the pipes that are connected to it but it uses no water at all and the oil level hasnt dropped in the 8 months ive owned it. What should i be looking at or thinking of changing? I know this is probably the most common problem on this engine so any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Andy

damo

hi, I had a bad idle once and cleaning out all the oil breather pipes helped lots, it stalled a little then when cold but a high rev for 10 seconds sorted that from cold start. once driven a few miles everything fine.

I set my idel to 1k so when the fans and lights were on it dropped a little but this helped with the stalling.

Id take off the breath pipes and give them a good clean and see if things improve?

Edited by damo

Slo

Ive done this a couple of times before and it did improve it a hell of a lot but doesnt last for long and doesnt stop the cutting out problem. Everything you have just described there is exactly same as whats going on with my engine. I cant believe peugeot made such a booboo with the idle setup on such a great little engine. What causes all the grey sludge build up in the pipes and breather in the first place? As I said it doesnt seem to burn any oil and its not lost any water in all the time ive had it. Do you think it will just be blow by gasses escaping through the old worn rings and sucking oil in its path? The oil breather is the only place the sludge is collecting. I assume that worn rings and liners creating big compression differences will be a major factor to this problem too.

• Like 1

Carbs4me

its damp building up in your engine, do you use the car regulaly?

If its left stood for sometime it might collect abit of damp and once running it mixes with the oil can leave the mayo residue in your pipes!

You wanna check your pipes for any breaks or unsecure fixings where its likely let air in. normally there abit feeble from the oil filler cap to the induction pipe.

If this doesnt cure could be the start of a head gasket failure, that hasnt broke though completely yet, which can explain the bit of smoke when you first start.... But mine smokes too when it first starts but i havent got no mayo in my filler cap.

Other things to check is Air flow meter (very hard to get a good one these days, but i think i have a 1.6 one knocking about somewhere with the orginal bracket if your intrested, just give me the AFM part no. so i can check it with what i have got. or give yours a clean with carb cleaner.

Ignition amp might be worth a shot?

Edited by Carbs4me

PAGOS

I've been reading with interest the various idling problems , as I too was plagued by embarrassing over-revving or stalling, no happy medium . I changed plugs , leads ,vacuum pipe ,vapour hoses , injectors o/haul , new s/steel gauze in the oil filler tower cap [ stainless steel pot scrubbing pads @ 6 for £5 ] .I even started to use a different petrol station , which was a bit inconvenient as they didn't keep Players Navy Cut . No improvement ,over revving or, stalling . To add insult to the injury , the starter gave up , so the inlet manifold had to come off . When I had the brute on the bench I gave the throttle body a good clean and paid particular attention to the water jacket , it was badly furred as was the spigot on the head . While I was waiting for the starter to be o/h I decided to polish the manifold and discovered a pin hole in the casting where the oil filler tower mounting bolts on . I screwed in a stud coated with high-temperature stud lock and let it set . This was allowing a small amount of un-measured air into the system . next I bored a 0.5 mm hole in the bottom of the butterfly to allow a certain amount of air to by-pass when the butterfly slapped closed .[ I like a firm quick response pedal ]. re-con starter on, piped up, all new s/ steel hose clips ,fluid top up, a final check and fired it up .the wee cat purred . a bit of a warm up lap ,re-check . SWEET ! Time for a blast - purrfect and NO STALLING ! I hope some of this may help you find your problem . As for mayo I found SHELL HELIX as good oil and not a stupid price .

Sign in to follow this