• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mat1227

Crankshaft Oil Seal - Flywheel End

mat1227

My car is in bits and it's perfect tinkering weather, I've hit a snag so a prompt answer from the collective would be awesome ;)

Right having tracked down a crankshaft oil seal that was holding me back, it's arrived but having got the old one out it's a slightly different depth - see the pic:

crankoilseals.jpg

So my question is, as the old one seemed to sit pretty much flush with both point a. at the back and point b. at the front - as the new part isn't as deep should it sit flush with point a. or b. in the image below:

crankoilseals2.jpg

Hope I've explained this ok - I don't want to take a guess, put it all back together and have it pissing oil all over the place.

Thanks as always :)

Mat

Rom

I normally sit seals flush with the outer surface face. But ive only built my Mi that way. Rest have all been Toyotas at work ;)

Mine doesnt leak though if thats any help.

Be it a cam or crank seal, i never seat them further back than flush with the outer face. If that makes sense. So its like a continuation of surface (flush with b in ur pic)

____ ___

rather than

---- ___

God i suck at explaining things :)

Edited by RKKRom

Pugnut

iirc the old fat seal needed to be 1-2mm proud to sit on the right spot . looks like its a thinner one that will go flush .

you'll see the shiney mark where the old seal rubbed on the crank . just make the new one rub on the same place.

mat1227

Thanks both it's now in flush to the outer surface or thereabouts, after lots of effing and blinding to get the inner lip to behave :) cheers

Sign in to follow this