• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wracing

[project] Peugeot 205 Twin Turbo

DrSarty

This is total madness, and I have added my hat to the pile of taken off hats. :lol:

Nice one.

One, incey wincey request: I love reading what you write, but I struggle giving it full attention due to the complete lack of capital letters. No-one says you have to start using them, and you can ignore me if you wish; but as an example, Batfink's post is much easier to read as the sentences are broken up nicely.

Other than that the work is outstanding, and I will watch this with great interest, at the very least looking at the pretty pictures.

will.m

cant wait to see this progress!

wracing

Advice. Pay someone to weld your cage in!!! :lol:

I've been battling with putting the cage in its going in really nice how I've got a new welder. I just don't have the aptitude to weld the whole thing at once so i have to do abit........little bit more........little bit more.

I had 2 weld samples delivered with the cage so I could have a practise before I started on the cage did a little stress test of my own :) so the other should have no worries in passing :D

Anyhow pictures are a million words...

15711_339394676838_700946838_3363772_7507973_n.jpg

24263_326795521838_700946838_3325074_836712_n.jpg

15711_339396511838_700946838_3363776_5992769_n.jpg

simons job while im welding

15711_339393886838_700946838_3363761_3891590_n.jpg

after a long weekend on the car time for some.......

24998_324561966838_700946838_3319097_233150_n.jpg

:):lol::D

Thanks

james

Edited by wracing

pugpete1108

thats alot of switches buddy and either some ham or some really undercooked bacon :lol:

wracing

I love the bacon like that, its so good!! well maybe not for my health.

Lights split left and right, and I want redundancy on fuel pumps it soon adds up, I want a very basic loom so everything has a switch :lol:

thanks

james

qwerty

This is incredible mate, another hats off!

will be following this one

Edited by qwerty

wracing

A friend has just brought me a present mi16 4x4 running gear :lol: I know its no good for big bhp but im sure we can modify it!! :)

any suggestions??

james

Daviewonder
A friend has just brought me a present mi16 4x4 running gear :) I know its no good for big bhp but im sure we can modify it!! :ph34r:

any suggestions??

james

Give it to Daviewonder? :lol:

pugpete1108
Give it to Daviewonder? :)

sorry to hijack but i have a 4x4 setup here going up for sale soon. if anyones interested

and james man that bacon is just wrong, its like eating raw pig. it must be crispy

Edited by pugpete1108

AlexN
A friend has just brought me a present mi16 4x4 running gear :) I know its no good for big bhp but im sure we can modify it!! :(

any suggestions??

james

There are a lot of things you can do to strengthen 4x4 running gear. I've got a thread going on the 405 forum detailing my mi16x4 track car build (although I now own an XU10J4TE engine and gearbox to match). The rear diff is bomb proof, don't worry about that. The real issue is the BE3 gearbox (hence why I have a T16 one - although this can still suffer). With some sensible upgrades though you can run 400+bhp.

The trick is to replace the transfer shafts that connect the gearbox and transfer box. I am in the process of getting hold of a set now. If you are interested I can give you some more info. Then you need to upgrade the TB internals, mainly the central diff - as a minimum replace the crown wheel pinions, and better, replace the whole central diff cage. Secondly replace the front diff crown wheel pinions. All these parts are available to buy quite easily. I going to carry out all this work on my box.

With all this the last weak link will be the BE3 internals, if you can sort them out then you should have a tough and pretty reliable drivetrain. I won't be side stepping the clutch though, even with all this done!

By the way, I have been following your exhaust manifold thread with interest (long time reader, first time poster and all that!) and I would be interested to try one out on my engine at some point in the future, if you get the design finalised and available to buy.

Alex

Edited by AlexN

wracing

Some great info there mate its going to be a slow project due to the amount of bespoke parts. :mellow:

Lots more progress over these last two weeks the engine is back from machining, the roll cage is nigh on finished, parts delivered from QEP, dash made. Im really looking forward to building the engine this week!!

Once again picture heavy but ! believe its the only real way to document progress :D

25807_345775351838_700946838_3376896_5000843_n.jpg

Some of the parts that a twin turbo is made from :P

25807_345776411838_700946838_3376903_3397660_n.jpg

Head skimmed by 5 thou just to clean it up.

25807_345777776838_700946838_3376910_7325856_n.jpg

Bored and honed to 87mm with 5 thou piston clearance incidentally. MLS head gasket from a gti6

25807_345779306838_700946838_3376914_8114537_n.jpg

Worth it now its in!! :D

25807_345781486838_700946838_3376915_1470805_n.jpg

And finally the new centre console!

25807_345787941838_700946838_3376923_5624456_n.jpg

25807_345786456838_700946838_3376920_8172191_n.jpg

25807_345784301838_700946838_3376916_214338_n.jpg

Thanks

James

Edited by wracing

will.m
:wacko:

qwerty

This is guna be a meat head :lol:

whats the plan for the body?

wracing

Its already has a dimma/t16 :lol: to cover the wheels that needs tiding. I have found things get a little light when i took the 8v to 7600 in 6th :P just the once never again so im going to try and get a little downforce in somewhere. Then that should do i think as you can see bodywork isnt my forte!!

thanks

james

wracing

I've managed to make some progress tonight. Mostly reconfiguring the ecu that i had off 'allpraisethegti', I've upgraded from the 2.2 to the v3 main board and gone over to ms2 processor. I didn't want to go over to the newer processor but we need access to the can protocol for our lcd dash, gps and datalogger.

Shown in the picture below is the megasquirt ecu v3 main board ms2 processor with an interface board that has vr sensor drivers, shift light control, boost control mosfets and sensors and knock sensing.

The extra vr sensors are to run traction control and allow us to datalog "slip".

14107_350517381838_700946838_3393229_1804507_n.jpg

thanks

James

All Praise The GTI

i read that several times then stared at the picture and it makes absolutly no sense mate ^_^

i shotgun a ride in this baby when shes done :lol:

wracing

:rolleyes: its not that bad!!

Will be after April when its got an mot!!

james

DrSarty

Remind us James: how are you addressing the drivehsaft issue?

I have a smidgen under 200lbft of torques which is quite a lot for N/A 2.2 engine, and have moved up to custom 306 driveshafts to stop breaking 205 1.9 shafts.

What in God's name are you going to do to cope with perhaps in excess of 300lbft when the second, larger turbo scrolls up? :rolleyes:

wracing

Well to start with,,,,don't laugh i've got these 1.9 shafts, lucky shafts i call them, for some reason they wont break!!!

One i've trashed these :rolleyes: ive got a lead on some power transmission cvs found in industry im going to give them a try. i thought about ujs instead but i think the arcs are just to large!

thanks

James

bales

Regarding the 2 stage turbocharging how are you going to cool the inlet air suffciently? With your smaller turbo blowing straight into your bigger one then are you not losing a lot of efficiency due to the added heat and pre-expanded air you are sticking in it.

The only practical usage I have seen for compound charging is on tractor pull tractors and old style fighter aircraft with superchargers due to the losses at altitude. The tractors which are firstly diesels and therefore stand up better to high boost pressures and don't suffer from det but more importantly they also inject a lot of water/methanol directly into the turbo's to keep temps down inbetween the different stages, hence when they drop off boost all the white smoke out of the exhausts.

I know you are doing this as an engineering exercise but in terms of lag and power sequential would be better would it not?

To me the reason tractor pull tractors use 2 or even 3 stage turbocharging is that they run 6-7 bar or 100psi boost and they physically could not get enough exhaust energy to begin spooling such a large turbo, and even then they are slow building up the boost. A road car would never suffer from this and it seems like an exercise in doing something for the sake of it rather than for any practical reason.....not that there is anythin wrong with that if thats the idea :)

Be very interesting to see the result but I think it will be potentially very laggy.....

Looking forward to seeing the progress though.

wracing

See even though I've defined the system as a compound system it isn't really. The system experiences a transient compound stage whereby the exaust gas is travelling through both turbos. But until the smaller turbo is spooled and compressing air the large turbo is bypassed, then passing on to a compound stage with the quick spool valve closed thus 1/2 the a/r of the large turbo. Once spooled the large turbo takes over bypassing the small turbo and opening the quick spool valve if we can :P

Finally opening the wastegate when I get scared!! ;)

As far as inter cooling is concerned a large FMIC will be used for the final charge cooling and maybe an interstage chargecooler. :) depending on how she runs.

All for barometric compensation!! :P

thanks

james

bales
See even though I've defined the system as a compound system it isn't really. The system experiences a transient compound stage whereby the exaust gas is travelling through both turbos. But until the smaller turbo is spooled and compressing air the large turbo is bypassed, then passing on to a compound stage with the quick spool valve closed thus 1/2 the a/r of the large turbo. Once spooled the large turbo takes over bypassing the small turbo and opening the quick spool valve if we can ;)

Finally opening the wastegate when I get scared!! :P

As far as inter cooling is concerned a large FMIC will be used for the final charge cooling and maybe an interstage chargecooler. :) depending on how she runs.

All for barometric compensation!! :P

thanks

james

Ah so you have gone for a kind of hybrid sequential/compound system, not shy of complexity are you! :P I will be more impressed by the control system for that than the actual power output :P

wracing

Who cares what power it makes like you im more interested in doing something different. That's one of the main reasons i've gone for megasquirt even though its seen as the anti Christ its the only ecu that's capable of doing what i want.

I have made a bit of progress getting the head oilways clear and the grand total of 2 valves lapped and in. For removing and replacing the valve stem seals I ground down a old pair of pliers.

14107_352570251838_700946838_3399628_8056463_n.jpg

14107_352568141838_700946838_3399626_6993682_n.jpg

Thanks

James

Edited by wracing

pugpete1108

everytime i read topics like this i suddenly feel rather thick B)