Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Embrace The Ew!

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

Cameron

Cameron
  • Banned
  • 5,076 posts
Yeah I'd love to know what kind of power it made in that state of tune.

simpsonrc

simpsonrc
  • Passengers
  • 10 posts
In standard form

My link

with bodies and DTA s60

My link

Edited by simpsonrc, 19 January 2012 - 06:03 PM.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
  • Name:Mei
170 LBFT peak, nice :D and over 150 lbft between 3.5k and 6.5k!

RossD

RossD
  • Drivers
  • 1,482 posts
  • Name:Ross
Yes, lovely flat torque curve there! That much torque in a 205 should punt it along quite well.
I'm veeeeery tempted to pick up an EW for a long term project.... Using the bodies and ECU currently on my TU.

edbar

edbar
  • Drivers
  • 595 posts
  • Name:Edward Stevens
How do they respond to differant cams? Do you have to change the pistons to fit a decent set like the xu10j4rs?

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts
180 engine has notches, but need to be carefully measured if retaining VCT. Not so much checked the clearance on the standard GTI engine, but probably better than GTI6, given slightly smaller valves.

edbar

edbar
  • Drivers
  • 595 posts
Im very intaerested in converting to ew, so basically we are saying fit some cams and verniers to ditch vct, throttle bodies and dta and we are looking at over 200bhp and 150lbft at a little over the weight of an xu 8 valve? Would they be a bitch to mount and plumb in to a 205?

Cameron

Cameron
  • Banned
  • 5,076 posts
Excuse my laziness, but is the gearbox bolt pattern the same? I.e. can you fit a BE gearbox to the EW?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
You use a BE box with an EW bellhousing.

BE box is not specific to the XU engine, its used on XUD, EW, DW, TU, DV, maybe a few more :lol: obviously with a few variations in bellhousing pattern and angle.

ponz

ponz
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts

Im very intaerested in converting to ew, so basically we are saying fit some cams and verniers to ditch vct, throttle bodies and dta and we are looking at over 200bhp and 150lbft at a little over the weight of an xu 8 valve? Would they be a bitch to mount and plumb in to a 205?

Why would you want to ditch VCT?

I'd love to see a project thread on here where someone's actually done this conversion.

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,423 posts
  • Name:Graham
Garage View Garage
Good research & passing on of findings Sandy, the EW could make an interesting modern engine swap for the 205.

I assume the later mulitplexed engines would still run fine on the earlier non multiplexed looms so if you wanted to keep the original ecu a rewire would be possible?

Also, does that mean the 2.0l EW is around the same weight as an XU7J4 but with more potential?

g

edbar

edbar
  • Drivers
  • 595 posts
Why would I want it? I dont need the car to meet tight emissions so would want them full advance all the time to make power, it would just be a redundant potential complication.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts

Why would I want it? I dont need the car to meet tight emissions so would want them full advance all the time to make power, it would just be a redundant potential complication.

I would keep it, you will probably find the car will make more low down torque with the cam timing retarded, then move them more advanced as the gas speed increases with engine rpm.

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,423 posts
  • Name:Graham
Garage View Garage
If I was going to the trouble of fitting an EW with VVC, I wouldn't remove it without proof it was sapping power / torque.

Modern VVC systems aren't as prone to failure as the early ones imo & you could get a better response from tuning work with it still fitted imo.

g

Matt180

Matt180
  • Drivers
  • 213 posts

Why would you want to ditch VCT?

I'd love to see a project thread on here where someone's actually done this conversion.

It's pretty straight forward really. Mounts are basically the same with a few adjustments. I run all the 180 box, cable shift, shafts etc so they needed extra work but you dont need to go down that route. Then just modify the inlet for cable linkage or drop some ITB's on it :D

Alan_M

Alan_M
  • Drivers+
  • 4,521 posts
So where exactly does the 180 get its extra horsepower from, over the 138bhp engine?

I've read the 138bhp inlet is pants to be frank which falls in line with the Longman improvements made by fitting ITBs.

Really, is the 138bhp engine worth bothering about, or is the 180 the better option (surely this lump will cost ). Or should I just stick to GTi6.....

Matt180

Matt180
  • Drivers
  • 213 posts

So where exactly does the 180 get its extra horsepower from, over the 138bhp engine?

I've read the 138bhp inlet is pants to be frank which falls in line with the Longman improvements made by fitting ITBs.

Really, is the 138bhp engine worth bothering about, or is the 180 the better option (surely this lump will cost ). Or should I just stick to GTi6.....

Inlet, exhaust and a better head. One thing to remember, the 180 measured in ps which is roughly 177bhp. Most ive seen some make low 170's so not actually that much more than the gti-6.

They do respond to mods very well as simpsonrc and i have proved. Both around the 200bhp mark with just TB's and standalone.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,028 posts
I have seen 200 from a remap and a decent catback exhaust on a 180.

ponz

ponz
  • Drivers
  • 35 posts
I'm actually about to do this conversion in a few weeks. I'm going with a Cat cam, Jenvey ITBs and standalone ECU. I'll let you know how it goes...

Cameron

Cameron
  • Banned
  • 5,076 posts
Please do! :D