• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m5nut

Is There A Performance Difference...

m5nut

Here goes....I have a 1.6 which has developed the common problem of bent sliders, so I need replacements. General consencus is to go with 1.9 calipers but I'm not sure whether they are worth it.

On ebay there are refurbed 1.6 calipers which are tempting also I have a friend selling 1.9 calipers of unknown condition, i can easily find out though.

I like the idea of keeping the weight low, but would like some more stopping power. I drive pretty hard and have a tendency to cook brakes :blush:

The way I see it my options are;

1.6 brakes : lower weight, possibly more slider trouble

1.9 brakes : heavier with more stopping power (not sure about this)

??? brakes : is there something else that gives even more stopping power that will fit under the 1.6 wheels?

Oh it's a 1.9, with aspirations of a lot more power, so another reason to get better brakes or do the 1.6's handle the heat fine??

Opinions please

Bob :D

All Praise The GTI

im almost positive 1.9s are better than 1.6

or get some s16's there great and not overly OTT,not sure if they fitt under 1.6 rims tho

Jrod

To be honest I don't think their is much difference in them.

They both use the same size discs and that's what handles the heat more, depending on which pad you use.

As you've said 1.6 are lighter but the sliders wear vs heavy 1.9 calipers.

Baz

The 1.9 Girling calipers are a better design really, still single piston but a sliding carrier rather than just relying on the one side. And they are slightly better IMO, but it depends what you use the car for.

I'm of the opinion that 1.6 brakes are great, until they wear out, as you say nice and light, seem to work well - if not pushed too hard anyway.

You're fairly limited to what you can upgrade whilst retaining your hubs/driveshafts etc, basically swap out the calipers for either good 1.6 ones, which are hard to come by, even if they have been re-furbed as you say, because most are not completely refurbished as you'd hope. Otherwise, 1.9 Girling or 306TD ATE calipers will go straight on with your existing discs. :P

Edited by BazGTMi

danpug

S16 brakes don't fit under 1.6 alloys, just in case you do consider them! I've got a set in the for sale section, bloody good brakes, no comparison with normal 205 brakes.

welshpug

S16 brakes will fit under 14"s, just not the 1.6 ones as early 405Mi's had 14" wheels.

kyepan

The extra unsprung weight of the 1.9 calipers is the only down side.

1.6 Bendix front caliper--------------2.2kgs

1.9 Girling front caliper--------------3.8kgs

If you value your unsprung weight, pop some m1144 pads in the 1.6 calipers and off you go.

Anthony

In my experience most 1.6 Bendix calipers are knackered and it's a night and day improvement fitting 1.9 Girling calipers.

As for refurbed Bendix calipers, it's a nice idea, but atleast some of the calipers I've seen that have been "refurbed" only appear to have had the seals done and not the critical sliders that I believe is the problem and why they seem to age much worse than Girling's.

Check that the sliders move freely on your mate's 1.9 calipers as that's about all that generally gives trouble in my experience with them, and swap your car over onto them - remember that the mounting bolts are different though.

Miles

I'm with the Bendix one's myself, All the Stock Hatch boy's race on them as did I and with New ones which I bought yr's ago when I was building my car and they are good for a std caliper, Never liked the Girling ones or even the GTi6 calipers mainly due to the weight of them, Even 4 pot's are lighter

16v205

I didnt think there was any performance differences between the 2 brake calipers assuming they are in good working condition ie not worn out, they both have the same size pistons dont they?

Rich

m5nut

Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go for 1.6 ones as unsprung weight is what I'm looking for.

Bob

Sign in to follow this